Windows 10 Parallels Display issue - solution upcoming??

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by dazzer, Jul 30, 2015.

1. dazzer

dazzer Bit poster

As many of us now know, Parallels 10 has a show-stopping issue giving an error message on installing Windows 10 describing a compatibility issue with Parallels Display Adapter.
    The KB here http://kb.parallels.com/en/123053 explains the issue and lists a workaround of a manual W10 install.
    Here's my question - is there a proper fix from Parallels on the way? Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  2. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi Dazzer, please follow the steps suggested at, http://kb.parallels.com/123053 this will resolve your issue.

3. dazzer

dazzer Bit poster

Please read my post.
    I quoted your workaround and asked if there will be a proper fix (like an updated version of Parallels that works) and you linked me back to the exact same workaround.

My question still stands - will there be a proper fix i.e. a correctly functioning version of Parallels 10? i.e. not a workaround (to clarify, the whole world is getting auto updates. Except for those using Parallels who have to download manually i.e. use a workaround).

Thanks

4. EllwoodN

EllwoodN Hunter

If want, see what I did in this thread (Windows 10 Pro clean install a success). Install went smooth
    as silk. In addition, you will still have a non-upgraded Windows to fall back on if you decide Win10
    is a mistake.

From all the chatter on the internet, if you try the "reserve" method, it could be weeks until you
    might be able to install. Doing the download method gets it now.

The "reserve" method was a joke from the start from all the issues that have been
    posted in all the forums. IMO, it was a typical Microsoft SNAFU from the start.

5. dazzer

dazzer Bit poster

Thanks EllwoodN. I'll look into your method.

Any official news from Parallels? Remember, my question is simple: Will there be an update to Parallels 10 that makes it work out of the box with W10, no workaround necessary? Thanks.

6. danielh2

danielh2 Bit poster

hello supportteam
    we need a solution from this problem:
    at the moment it's not possible to make a free upgrade from win8.1 to win10.

7. Dear all, we're currently working on it with our Development. Unfortunately we do not have ETA for the fix, it has been prioritized appropriately and you can track the changes in the product at http://kb.parallels.com/122720
    Guys, we understand your concern and do our best to resolve it.

8. dazzer

dazzer Bit poster

Thanks Maria.

9. danielh2

danielh2 Bit poster

thx maria

10. AnthonyS3

AnthonyS3 Bit poster

I have tried to update my windows 7 64bit virtual machine 3 times using the media creation tool and each time i get the same issue. It seems to upgrade fine but then the machine gets stuck on a solid black screen after a restart and just hangs there....for hours with nothing. Help?
    Do I need to use the upgrade ISO vs upgrading within the app?

11. BoydH

BoydH Bit poster

I have the same issue as AnthonyS3 except that I upgraded Win 7 32bit to Win 10 32bit. Once the black screen is up I am able to get the task manager up and then to start the control panel from the command line. I can also start Word and Excel up. I have tried re-installing the Parallels Tools and uninstalling the Video driver from device manager. I am unable to start Windows file explorer. Also any links from the control panel to the 'Newer' Control Panel items such as adding users does not work.

I used the the article, http://kb.parallels.com/123053, to upgrade my virtual machine.

12. JohnG2

JohnG2 Bit poster

Tried the tool to update my Windows 8.1 on an iMac and still get the display driver error. What gives?

13. danielh2

danielh2 Bit poster

@maria:
    good idea?:
    NOTE: First, I had to cancel my reservation (doing so pushed my upgrade further out a few days as I had to wait on Microsoft) that I used previously w/ the Parallels Display Adapter (WDDM) and then reserved a new spot after the steps below in order for the upgrade from Windows 8.1 Pro to 10.
    1. Open Device Manager > Display Adapters > Right click on Parallels Display Adapter (WDDM) > Select Uninstall
    2. Update the default display adapter, right click and select Update Driver Software ...
    3. Select -> Browse my computer for driver software
    4. Select -> Let me pick from a list of devices on my computer
    5. Select Microsoft Basic Display Adapter from the Show compatible hardware list
    6. Click Next and follow instructions
    7. Restart Parallels and Check your PC again
    8. If there aren't any issues, create new reservation and try the Windows 10 Upgrade process again

14. JimR1

JimR1 Bit poster

Sorry Dhruba you are wrong. Your instructions at http://kb.parallels.com/en/123053 DO NOT apply to the FREE version. If you get the WDDW message, you can't use the kb instructions. Parallels: what takes so long to get a dippy driver ready. Sheesh.

15. danielh2

danielh2 Bit poster

hello parallels.... we have a problem... please help us. it's so difficulty to update a driver?

16. Dear all, we understand your concern, but the root cause of the issue is related to the Windows 10 (new driver) and Parallels drivers.
    This is code level issue, so it takes a bit more time to find the resolution.
    Sorry once again, and please be sure, once we have any info (new update, some probable workaround or whatever) we let you know immediately.

17. J.R1

J.R1 Bit poster

Thanks Maria. But please, we don't want a workaround - these are fraught with danger. Given that Windows 10 has been out now for some time surely this issue is close to fixing.
    I will impatiently wait for the new update rather than try some alternate method recommended in this forum, which has provided nothing but grief for some.

18. Ok, I see, I mean just any info, and any update. Sorry for misunderstanding.

19. BoydH

BoydH Bit poster

I just updated to Parallels 11 Pro and I still have the same issue!!

20. please try this KB once with Parallels Desktop 11