Windows 10 Issue: Cortana & Windows Shell Experience Host

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Jagstyle, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Jagstyle

Jagstyle Bit poster

I have two running apps that show up on the dock whenever I use my new VM with Windows 10 installed. When in Coherence mode, these seem to be messing up how I use the Windows Icon on the dock bar. I used to be able to click the Windows icon in the dock to bring up the start/desktop menu in my windows VM while operating in Coherence mode. Now, it seems these two additional apps/icons that are running are making things act in a very weird fashion. Very difficult to explain.

I guess my question is, what are these two new apps/windows that pop up on the dock bar? Is there any way of hiding them?

Thanks

2. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi Jagstyle, thank you for reporting us the issue, this seems to be known issue while launching the virtual machine in Coherence mode and our Engineers are looking into this. And this should be fixed in our future updates. Stay tuned for the update, http://kb.parallels.com/122720

3. MichaelJ3

MichaelJ3 Bit poster

Better exit Coherence mode. It's a disaster right now with Windows 10. Parallels need to get cracking on a fix...and soon. This transition to Windows 10 has not been smooth. First, the lack of auto upgrade (the WDDM message) and now this!

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi Jagstyle,
    Parallels Engineering team is working on it. In a meanwhile, you can use Windows Virtual Machine Full screen mode. From Coherence mode, click the Parallels icon || in the menu bar, then choose Exit Coherence. Then click the View menu and select Enter Full Screen.

5. KevinH3

KevinH3 Bit poster

Even when running in full screen mode, the Windows Shell Experience Host and Cortana icons appear on the dock. Will that be fixed as well?

6. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Yes Kevin, our Engineers are working on this. Once we get a fix, it will be updated here, http://kb.parallels.com/122720

7. William Fulmer

William Fulmer Junior Member

Great! Following...

8. GregH2

GregH2 Bit poster

Yes I have the same issue. But even more, when Windows Shell Experience Host and Cortana icons appear on the dock, the VM will not pause if all other apps are closed. Do you know if this will be resolved too?.

9. AlexA2

AlexA2 Member

My Windows 10 environment is completely non-functional. No taskbar. No start button. Lots of gray boxes. Parallels 10 is completely non-functional for me. Also getting the multiple icons in the the OS X dockbar.

10. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi Alex,
    Please follow the steps below to resolve the issue:
    1. Remove Parallels Desktop, refer http://kb.parallels.com/122653
    2. Reboot the Mac
    3. Download Parallels Desktop here and install.
    4. Go to virtual machine configure >> Hardware tab >> Video >> Disable directX

Note: un-installing & re-installing Parallels Desktop will not affect your virtual machine.

11. Jagstyle

Jagstyle Bit poster

Do the steps listed above resolve the issue with the Cortan and Windows Shell windows popping up as well?