If I delete ISO what will happen?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by SeanB1, Aug 9, 2015.

1. SeanB1

SeanB1 Bit poster

After completely finishing installing windows 7 home premium via an .iso image, is it ok to delete the iso file afterwards?
    Thanks.

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

@SeanB1 Yes, you can delete the .iso file if you feel that not necessary. But it will help to repair Windows 7 home premium Virtual Machine.

3. SeanB1

SeanB1 Bit poster

Ok thank you, I am struggling with hard drive space, so I will keep it on my USB just incase.

4. Ram@Parallels

Ram@Parallels Parallels Support

Sounds great SeanB1, Feel free to reach out anytime, we are here to help.

5. SeanB1

SeanB1 Bit poster

Thank you. Also since I am struggling with disk space, I came across an option under the configuration window that says reclaim disk space. Will this harm any files on my Windows virtual machine or anything? It seems like it would be a big help for me.

6. Yes, you may use this option or also in VM configuration use the the "Resize disk option" (Hardware -> Hard Disk -> edit), but before this please take a snapshot for being more save and not to lose any files.

7. JamesF8

JamesF8 Bit poster

I accidentally deleted the windows 10 iso install for parallels desktop 12 while cleaning up my downloads folder. Is there any way to redownload this file? Is it still helpful to have downloaded?

8. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @JamesF8, that's very easy! You can simply download the installation file for Windows 10 from Microsoft download center.

9. JamesF8

JamesF8 Bit poster

@PaulChris@Parallels I have downloaded the windows 10 iso file and have no idea where to go. Within windows, the file can not be burned because there is no disc recognized. From my mac desktop, I can try to burn it, but it takes me to the windows 10 installation screen. I also still have the old windows 10 iso file under the parallels dropdown menu from the mac desktop. It can not be selected under the CD/DVD 1 option because it was deleted. Where do I go from having just redownloaded the iso file?

10. Swati@Parallels

Swati@Parallels

Hi, are you trying to install new Windows on your Mac computer? if yes, please follow the article and if you have already installed Windows 10 earlier, you may keep this downloaded iso image for your future reference.

11. JamesF8

JamesF8 Bit poster

I have previously installed windows 10. I was cleaning up my downloads when I accidentally included the windows 10 iso file in the group I deleted. This was the file listed under the CD/DVD 1 settings in the parallels menu. I have no idea what that means, but the next time I opened parallels, it said parallels was unable to connect. From what this thread has said, it is not a big deal as everything still runs as it's supposed to, but if it helps my device, then I would like to re download this file. I downloaded it from the windows page as previously advised, however, I do not know how to burn it to the CD/DVD setting again. Can you provide any help with this problem?

12. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Presence or absence of the .iso file doesn't matter to an existing Windows installation. An .iso file is simply an image used for initiating Windows installation and, as such, won't be needed once the installation is done.

13. acekrn

acekrn Bit poster

I've seen this thread twice from beginning to end ,this is the same thing as editing an iSO file ,but it was hard to do. I tested it on the computer three times before I succeeded .
    Following this program so that you can do that : https://www.iseepassword.com/iso-editor.html

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018