Parallels Desktop 11 on El Capitan split screen feature not working properly

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by pixbroker, Sep 6, 2015.

1. pixbroker

pixbroker Junior Member

Hello, i am running Parallels Desktop 11 on El Capitan with a Windows 10 guest OS. When using the El Capitan split screen feature, Parallels top window bar goes crazy. See attached screenshot. The missing heigh of the bar is added at the bottom of the window, as a black bar. Inside the VM, the guess OS coordinates are also off by that amount.

Attached Files:

2. FedericoB1

FedericoB1 Bit poster

Hello, same problem here, with Parallels Desktop Pro 11, with Windows 7 as guest OS. Also, when trying to use split screen feature, the VM does not respond with a resolution change when I resize the panes, resulting in a stretched view, and unfortunately it's impossible to work in that way. I have to completely skip the split screen feature for now.
    Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 11.53.32.png

Attached Files:

3. AndreaB3

AndreaB3 Bit poster

Experiencing the exact same issues with Parallels Desktop Pro 11 on El Capitan with Windows 10 guest OS. Cannot use the split screen feature. Top bar does not function properly AND resolution issues. Painful to exit split screen as well - top bar would not accept leaving split screen view.

4. Guys, did you reinstall Parallels Tools and check the issue?

5. AndreaB3

AndreaB3 Bit poster

Hi Maria, This morning I reinstalled Parallels Tools. When I tried the split screen feature, Parallels *crashed* - yesterday it was not crashing.

6. Thanks a lot for the information. Could you please try it again and then generate the problem report using this KB.
    Please reply us back with the report ID.

7. AndreaB3

AndreaB3 Bit poster

Hi Maria,
    Reinstalled Parallels Tools twice. Each time, I can duplicate the error/crash.
    Problem Report ID Number 76740553.
    Thanks for your help!

8. Thanks a lot for the info. Please update the Parallels Desktop 11 to the latest build (we've just released it) and check the issue.
    Let us know the results please.

9. AndreaB3

AndreaB3 Bit poster

Hi Maria,

Thanks for the assistance. Updated to the latest build of Parallels Desktop 11 and Parallels Tools. Tested Split Screen Feature. Parallels is not crashing; however, in split screen mode, the resolution on the Parallels side of the screen is distorted - the text is not crisp/sharp. The resolution on the second half of the screen is fine. Checked my graphics settings in Parallels tools. Using Scaled since I run Parallels the majority of the time on my external monitor. When exiting Split Screen, Parallels does not crash and the resolution returns to normal on my external monitor.

Thank you,
    Andrea

10. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but do you still have this issue?

11. AndreaB3

AndreaB3 Bit poster

Hi Maria,

The split screen feature works and does not crash; however, there is an issue with Parallels resolution in split screen mode. So split screen feature is not 100% usable.
    Thank you,
    Andrea

12. HabeebH

HabeebH Bit poster

This may not be the right place to post this... but I'm still on Parallels 10... the small business suite I run for my office only runs on Win7 so there's no real need for me to upgrade to P11 and all the support for Win10. Anyway, I digress...

A couple of months ago... after having updated to El Cap, I noticed that the new split screen feature in the OS worked perfectly with P10. Fantastic as there was always some PDF files which I needed to have side by side with that crap business suite for data entry. This saved me a lot of swiping left and right.

There was a parallels update and since then... the split screen isn't working. Whether adding the VM to an open full screen PDF file or vice versa... not happening. I just get a not allowed icon.

I'm thinking the Parallels update either broke this feature or turned something off in the settings or is something insidious and/or malicious. Would be very disappointed with Parallels if it was the third.