[SOLVED] Parallels 11, El Capitan, kernel_task - TOTALLY UNUSABLE!

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by sduensin, Oct 8, 2015.

1. sduensin

sduensin Bit poster

WTF guys? Parallels v6 - v10 were awesome. The new 11? Not so much. Why is kernel_task chewing up 3 of my CPUs when I run a VM? It's so bad that my office has even offered to send me a Windows laptop! Help!

2. sduensin

sduensin Bit poster

Ok, I was going to delete my original post. Instead, I'm going to apologize and tell you what I've found in the hope it helps someone else...

It seems to have been a thermal problem! After pointing a fan at my laptop, kernel_task CPU usage dropped from 500% to 4%! Seems this is an El Capitan issue that affects more than just Parallels. On my system it just happened to be Parallels that set it off.

Sorry for the tiny rant, Parallels coders. Carry on being awesome. :)

3. No problem, thanks for sharing this info!

4. Dhrumil

Dhrumil Bit poster

Hi,
    I am having a similar problem with Parallels 17.1.1 and Windows 11. It was working wonderfully well with Parallels 17 earlier and I don't know what changed. kernel_task is using high CPU and the disk usage is going very high to the tune of 500-900 MB/Sec continuously. Its making my powerful m1 MacBook super sluggish and slow. What do I need to do to make it usable? I have stopped using the VM right now as it is unusable.

5. Dhrumil

Dhrumil Bit poster

Also, Both Read and Writes are happening at the same time. Huge amounts of Read and Write. 500 MB/Sec on an average.

6. Dhrumil

Dhrumil Bit poster

So, I resolved it by uninstalling parallels and reinstalling it.
    Even a new VM did not resolve it but a reinstall resolved it for the older VM too.
    Hope this helps.

7. Dhrumil

Dhrumil Bit poster

And the problem is back. It was working perfectly fine and then suddenly kernel_task is back. It is reading huge amounts from data from Parallels and writing to kernel_task.
    Can someone please help?

8. StefanT9

StefanT9 Bit poster

Hello, I found after a long search that I have the same problem as above. Parallels 18.3.0 and Windows 11 is installed and for no apparent reason, Parallels drops the network and the M1 Macbook freezes with all communications. Is there a solution to this?