Fan Runs Constantly

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by EricS4, Oct 24, 2015.

1. EricS4

EricS4 Bit poster

I'm using a 2015 MacBook Pro with ElCapitan.
    Parallels 10.3 and Windows 8.1

When I run Parallels my computer runs hot and the fan spins constantly. As soon as I quit it my fan stops.

Under optimization it's set to Faster virtual machine, tune windows for speed, enable adaptive hypervisor, and better performance.

2. Please try this KB

3. Elizabeth Anderson

Elizabeth Anderson Member

Hi,
    The next time fans starts spinning constantly open your Activity Monitor app. Check out what's eating up the CPU and memory leading to generate so much of heat, and thus the fans to spin up.

Wasimk1 and Maria@Parallels like this.
  4. You're right! It will be more simple to understand what exactly happened and why.
    Thanks for your help!

5. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

please follow the steps mentioned below to fix the issue
    1. Download CPU throttle application to your Mac.
    2. Move it to somewhere it can be kept for long period of time (like Documents).
    3. Note: following lines should be typed without quotes. Go to the same location in Mac Terminal ('cd ~/Documents').
    4. Type in: 'chmod +x cputhrottle'
    5. Go to 'Activity Monitor' and find the process you want to limit (in Parallels Desktop case - 'prl_vm_app'). Note its PID.
    6. Back in Terminal, type in: 'sudo ./cputhrottle ' (example: 'sudo ./cputhrottle 766 70'). You may also need to enter Mac user's password into Terminal if it asks for it.
    7. Application is now active. It is limiting the CPU consumption of virtual machine process and your CPU should no longer heat up as much.
    8. You can stop running cputhrottle by pressing CTRL+C in Terminal. This will remove the limit on the process.

6. JoepP

JoepP Bit poster

Same problem over here. Running Windows 10 and latest Parallels version.
    Activity Log gives CPU for windows 10 over 200% and immediately after starting up windows.

How to solve this ?

7. Hello, how many CPU did you give to your virtual machine? (VM configurations -> Hardware -> CPU & memory)

8. JoepP

JoepP Bit poster

4 GB

9. Thanks a lot for your reply.
    Could you create a screenshot of the Task Manager window and share it with us please?

10. JoepP

JoepP Bit poster

This is activity control on my Mac

Attached Files:

11. Thanks a lot for the provided information.
    Could you collect the tech report once the issue reoccurs please?

12. JoepP

JoepP Bit poster

Support ID 371593322

13. salf

salf Bit poster

I am having the same issue. Used to happen once in a while now almost every day in the middle of working I have to shut it down wait a while and reboot everything! Running Windows 10

14. Hi, could you collect the tech report once the issue reoccurs and post your report's ID here please?