Windows 7 Password Reset

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ampm11, Jun 11, 2012.

1. EllenZ1

EllenZ1 Bit poster

Thank you. I tried it again. The commands came through as per the article until after submitting
    prlctl exec UUID net user as instructed. I now get a message:
    Unable to open new session in this virtual machine. Make sure the latest version of Parallels Tools is installed in this virtual machine and it has finished booting.
    Windows 7 is up and running. I'm just unable to log in b/c I lost the password.
    When I upgraded to Parallels 10 I did the standard install which I assume is a compete install. Do I have to reinstall Parallels? I am running a MacBookPro without a DVD drive. Thanks.

2. Manoj@Parallels

Manoj@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi EllenZ1,
    Please submit a Problem Report ID http://kb.parallels.com/9058 and provide us the ID number here, so that we can check and assist you further on this issue.

3. EllenZ1

EllenZ1 Bit poster

Thank you. The ID is 59058882 Please note that the Windows 7 virtual machine is running, I just can't log in until I'm able to reset the password.

4. Manoj@Parallels

Manoj@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hello EllenZ1,
    Please check your Private message.

5. SeshaM

SeshaM Bit poster

Hi - I seem to have the same issue, where I get "Unable to open new session in this virtual machine. Make sure the latest version of Parallels Tools is installed in this virtual machine and it has finished booting" message... Created a problem (ID: 59457305) ticket - appreciate quick help on this

6. taylor1

taylor1 Bit poster

7. MichaelM8

MichaelM8 Bit poster

Best Answer

8. beaminup likes this.
  9. ThietN

ThietN Bit poster

10. beaminup

beaminup Bit poster

I tried this but I have a problem. I am trying to reset the administrator password. I have renamed the administrator account and when I tried to use that name it created a new standard user account with the name of my administrator account. How can I change the administrator account?

11. beaminup

beaminup Bit poster

Actually, Maria's link to the knowledge base article solved this problem for me.
    And this is the key:
    prlctl exec 3e21f02b-9d52-4ebe-a079-675dc822d723 net user

12. ChrisL4

ChrisL4 Bit poster

This forum is probably dead, but I followed the instructions to try to reset a Windows password (just upgraded to Parallels 11 and now can't run any Windows applications). The procedure for resetting a password resulting in"The command is available only in Parallels Desktop for Mac Pro or Business Edition". Since I am running Parallels Desktop on a Mac Pro, this seems not very helpful.

13. MichaelM16

MichaelM16 Bit poster

I'm getting the same as ChrisL4. I've run into the password problem in the past, and the above fix in Terminal did the trick. Now however, since upgrading to Parallels 11 I am getting "The command is available only in Parallels Desktop for Mac Pro or Business Edition" when I get to the last step in Terminal. With previous versions of Parallels when this password issue would present itself in Windows 7 I was able to fix the issue with Terminal - getting the "authentication tokens" response. As of now my windows is completely locked out for me; I can do nothing until win 7 sees a password. If there is any new info I need it desperately - thanks

14. MichaelM16

MichaelM16 Bit poster

1. Start your virtual machine;
    1. Open Terminal application (Finder > Applications > Utilities > Terminal);
    2. Copy the following command, past it into Terminal window and press Return:

prlctl list --all

The output should look like the following:

UUID STATUS IP_ADDR NAME
    {3e21f02b-9d52-4ebe-a079-675dc822d723} running - Windows 7

3. Copy the following, past it into Terminal window and add space

prlctl set

4. Copy the UUID from the output of the previous command (e21f02b-9d52-4ebe-a079-675dc822d723 in the example) and past it at the end of the "prlctl set" command (do not forget that there should be a space between "set" and UUID number), then add space, type the following and add one more space:

--userpasswd

Right now you will have something like:

prlctl set 3e21f02b-9d52-4ebe-a079-675dc822d723 --userpasswd

5. Add username (your Windows user account name), colon, and a new password (do not add space between username, colon and password). Please see the example below:

prlctl set 3e21f02b-9d52-4ebe-a079-675dc822d723 --userpasswd yourWindowsUsername:123

6. Press Return. You should see the following:

authentication tokens updated successfully.

All of the above works as stated until step #6 -- at which I get "The command is available only in Parallels Desktop for Mac Pro or Business Edition". I need to be able to access my windows 7. I need to know that there isn't some cross-compatibility issue that I am missing; none of my hardware /software otherwise are old or considered obsolete - the windows 7 is probably the oldest piece of software in the chain; that being said I don't think it is necessary for me to get a new version of windows yet -- I think this should be working as intended before I start buying more 'stuff'.

15. MichaelM16

MichaelM16 Bit poster

P.S.

The "prlctl exec 3e21f02b-9d52-4ebe-a079-675dc822d723 net user" command in terminal also gets me the same response....the "command is only available...." one as well.

for what it's worth

Mac Book Pro 2.9Ghz i7 - 256g SSD
    OS X 10.9.5
    Parallels 11
    Windows 7

16. ChrisL4

ChrisL4 Bit poster

I bit the bullet and bought a Parallels Desktop for Mac Pro, which is a yearly subscription software which would significantly increase to outlay for using Parallels. This allowed me to reset passwords, but I was still unable to login to Windows. I tried resetting windows and logging in in Windows safe mode, which I was able to do, and then Windows Safe Mode with Networking. This also worked, so I was able to see that all the original files generated and stored under my previous version of Parallels were still there and I was able to execute some Windows applications that used the internet. However, I am still unable to login with "normal" windows.

17. MichaelM16

MichaelM16 Bit poster

Wow. I'm not sure how encouraging that is. Do Parallels not have an answer for this?
    I'm sure it cannot be that difficult, seeing as how this was "fixed"(or at least a workaround) previously. I'd feel far more comfortable getting this ironed out before going for the ubiquitous "buy more stuff" answer, which may or may not be the answer. I don't see Windows 7 as obsolete; and my usual fear with updates/upgrades being this very thing; costly software suddenly stops operating and the only answer is "buy more new stuff".

In the meantime I will continue searching for a solution. Would love if KB support would address this issue -

18. MichaelM16

MichaelM16 Bit poster

I have successfully resolved the issue. Option #2 in the attached pdf worked great.

Thanks. Hope it can work for others.

Attached Files:

19. ChrisL4

ChrisL4 Bit poster

Well, the difficulties posed in resetting passwords or getting Windows to login are simply too severe to waste any more time with Parallels. However, I need to get some files off the Windows virtual system, and those are not viewable from OSX at the moment. Somewhere in my efforts to solve this I had booted up into Windows Safe Mode with Networking, which had actually given me some functionality. However, now I am unable to replicate that. After first getting a Windows login screen (to which I am unable to login), if I then select Actions and then Reset I am presented with the standard Windows reboot options for Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Unfortunately, all these options simply default to a Windows login screen to which I am unable to login. The suggestions in the PDF above don't apply, since I can't see the Windows virtual machine files under Finder.

20. Leonard1

Leonard1 Bit poster

What to do if you forget your Windows password
    If you've forgotten your Windows password and you're on a domain, you should contact your system administrator to reset your password. If you're not on a domain (most home users are not on a domain), you can reset your password by using a password reset disk or by using an administrator account.
    or you can create a password reset disk with iSeePassword Windows password recovery to reset Windows 7 password with easy.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016