Windows Update Problem in Parallels 11, El Capitan, Win 7 and 10

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by HighC, Mar 20, 2016.

1. HighC

HighC Bit poster

Hi, I'm having trouble with my Windows image in a new installation. I've wiped clean a brand new MacBook Pro with a reformat and fresh install of El Capitan. No configuration done to it at all. Next I installed Parallels 11 Pro, selected "productivity" and proceeded to create a Win 7 image from a new Windows 7 Pro installation disk. Creating the VM initially looks fine, Win 7 boots and runs. I then run Windows Update, the first thing it comes back with is an update to Windows update which I install and reboot. After restart I try to run Windows Update again to bring everything up to current service packs etc., and the searching for updates status goes on and on forever. I left it overnight even and it never progressed. I've looked through the error and even warning logs and see nothing that would indicate a problem with Windows Update or general connectivity. I've stopped the windows update service, cleared out the software distribution folder and also temp, then restarted the service and tried again, no luck.

This is my 6th or 7th try, I've tried 3 other Windows 7 Pro discs so far, each with different serials and on 2 other El Capitan machines, all with the same problem. I also disconnected my WiFi router entirely and connected directly to the cable modem at one point in attempt to rule out any peculiar firewall or connectivity trouble. I've also tried upgrading to Windows 10 via the Parallels 11 action menu. The upgrade to 10 seemed to proceed fine all the way to the searching for updates step, where it too spun forever with no progress.

Any ideas? I've pretty much hit a dead end searching forums both here and through google and without any error log output I'm not sure where to look to dig deeper. Any suggestions appreciated, thanks!

2. Arunn

Arunn Parallels Support

Hi, Please try the following steps:
    1. Download Windows Update Client for Windows 7
    2. Download Windows System Update Readiness Tool
    3. Restart Windows and make sure it is disconnected from internet before Windows loads.
    4. Once booted install Windows Update Client, if reboot is required do so and stay disconnected from internet.
    5. Now install the System Update Readiness Tool package, this is a big package and will install many updates along with cleaning up and repairing the Windows update store.
    6. After installing the Tool, reboot and connect to internet and do a manual Windows Update, it should work much faster now.

3. HighC

HighC Bit poster

This worked, thanks a lot for the info! There was a pretty long delay while it searched for updates , but eventually it came back with 211 updates to install and seems to all be working now.

4. Arunn

Arunn Parallels Support

Glad to hear! Feel free to reach out anytime, we are here to help.

5. RuelS

RuelS Bit poster

Hi, sorry I might be in the wrong forum but I updated to El capitan recently and I lost internet connection to my windows explorer

6. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi, please try reinstalling Parallels Tools and check how it goes. Refer to this article.