Suspicious Windows Process : PRLFAKEWND

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ColinK1, Apr 16, 2016.

1. ColinK1

ColinK1 Bit poster

Using : Parallels Desktop for Mac (V11.1.13) with a Windows 10 client.
    Please can you advise if the process "PRLFAKEWND" is a Parallels process?
    I found this process running on my Windows 10 client.
    If this is not one of Parallels processes, I fear it may be a virus masquerading as a bona-fide named process.
    If you know anything about this process, please advise.

regards
    SeaCay

2. Sylvester@Parallels

Sylvester@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello Colin,
    No, "PRLFAKEWND" is not a Parallels process. Please get advice from your IT person to know about the particular process.

3. ColinK1

ColinK1 Bit poster

Thanks for your reply, I will investigate further.
    regards
    SeaCay

4. Sylvester@Parallels

Sylvester@Parallels Parallels Support

You are welcome! feel free to reach out for any further assistance with Parallels.

5. PamT

PamT Bit poster

ColinK1 can you please share what your IT person has advised on the "PRLFKEWND" app? I just upgraded to WIN10 and was shutting my VM down when it was cancelled due the "PRLFKEWND" app still running.

Any guidance you can provide would be most helpful. Thanks!

6. ColinK1

ColinK1 Bit poster

I regret there is nothing more to add about this process. I only saw it once. I have observed that Parallels process tend to start with "PRL_".
    I use Eset Smart Security for Antivirus etc and have not had any notifications from Eset of anything untoward on my system. The internet knows nothing about PRLFKEWND. If there were anything sinister about the process, I am 99% certain something would have been posted by now. Of course there is always that other 1%. I am sorry I cannot be much help to you. Regards

7. PamT

PamT Bit poster

Thanks ColinK1. I ran a full scan with Windows Defender and nothing came up. I also did a Google search and only found 4 entries for PRLFKEWND. I agree that there would have been more information available if it was a threat. Fingers crossed we are ok going forward. Thanks again!