Ubuntu 16.04 unusable

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by James Rome, Apr 27, 2016.

1. James Rome

James Rome Hunter

Installing Ubuntu 16.04 via Parallels 11 leads to a desktop that flashes every second, and only displays a flashing parallels disks folder. I can hear the hard disk chugging in sync with the flashes.

I have a Mac Pro with lots of cpus and memory, running the latest OS X.

2. Argelian

Argelian Member

Its not you, Parallels doesn't fully support Ubuntu 16.04 LTS yet. It installs fine and runs but once you install the Tools, it breaks.

3. James Rome

James Rome Hunter

Parallels needs to get the betas and make sure they work in time for the release. It is frustrating.

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Dear James, Parallels Desktop 11 doesn't supported Ubuntu 16.04 LTS yet. Please check out this article to know about supported guest OS in Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac.

5. James Rome

James Rome Hunter

Obviously. But why not? The whole [point of Parallels is to allow us to test the latest and greatest operating systems. This is a released version, not a beta. You guys need to be ahead of releases.

VincentC2 likes this.
  6. ScottM5

ScottM5 Bit poster

I am also needing support for Parallels Tools with Ubuntu 16.04 ASAP. After I installed PT Ubuntu will not boot any longer just flashes the Parallels shared folder over and over. Without PT the monitor resolution is set at 800x600 and can't be changed higher.

7. rjlov1

rjlov1 Bit poster

With the recent update of Parallels - Version 11.2.0 (32581) - I am able to install PT in a fresh 16.04 install and everything looks fine. I haven't tried upgrading my 15.10 machine yet though.

Any party line on 16.04 with the recent update?

8. mischivus

mischivus Bit poster

Parallels is really only designed for running Windows on a Mac, and this is 99% of the company's revenue. As such, Linux support is basically a "when they have free time" project.

Parallels typically takes a MINIMUM OF 1 YEAR to release "parallels tools" for a LTS Ubuntu Release and rarely, if ever, releases Parallels tools for a standard release.

We had to move our entire company off Parallels because of this "second class support". It wasn't cheap, and it wasn't fun.

Just use VirtualBox. It's free, it does everything Parallels does, and it had support for Ubuntu 16.04 since 16.04 was in beta.

9. JeffB7

JeffB7 Bit poster

I am a new Parallels user and have to say I am extremely disappointed that Parallels is unable or unwilling to keep up with Ubuntu LTS releases. Of course I discovered this after updating to 16.04 last night. I find this unacceptable, and due to this I am unable to recommend Parallels to other Mac users. Looks like moving to a completely free solution, VirtualBox is the way to go. I expect more when I pay for a product, not less.

10. VincentC2

VincentC2 Bit poster

Kali is also suffering from this issue. They need to improve their support or else VMware will gain a lot of customers.

11. BrianD2

BrianD2 Bit poster

Wow. I sure am glad I found this thread before I tossed more money at Parallels. I'm currently on version 10 and have been using it with windows XP and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. I've used VirtualBox on older macs and was pleased. I recently installed a new copy of Windows 7 Pro in Parallels 10 and tonight I decided to install Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and could not install Parallels Tools. Ubuntu is unusable with that small video resolution without PT installed. I went ahead and downloaded the latest version of Virtual Box, installed Ubuntu 16.04 and installed the Guest Additions with no problems. Ubuntu is running great with video resolution 1920x1080 which is a nice size window on my 2560x1440 display. I will reinstall Win7 in Virtual Box. I'm doubly glad I found this thread because I also learned Parallels 11 doesn't support host Mac OS 10.8.5. I know, I know, old. If it isn't broken -don't fix it. I still have a laptop and a hackintosh netbook running snow leopard. :) Very disappointed in Parallels, I've owned quite a few versions over the years but I'll just stick with Virtual Box moving forward.

VincentC2 likes this.
  12. marat_t

marat_t Pro

Hi guys, what versions of Ubuntu you are upgrading from?
    I tried to upgrade from 15.10 to 16.04 and I didn't face any issues.

13. HAMIDM

HAMIDM Bit poster

Not an upgrade, but created a new 16.04 VM and tried to install parallels tools, the installation fails. The VM works fine, but with a resolution of 800x600 it is unusable.
    I have attached the log file (seems compiler warning for not casting to a pointer is being treated as an error...)

Attached Files:

14. marat_t

marat_t Pro

hi, you are running outdated Parallels Desktop. Please upgrade to v11.

15. RichardG3

RichardG3 Bit poster

I am also having issues with 16.04 (new install from iso). I am on the latest version of Desktop 11 Mac Pro Edition. Apart from one windows sqlserver vm my other 6 vm's are all ubuntu / linux desktop & server images :-(

16. marat_t

marat_t Pro

Hi,
    What exact issues?

17. DavidH16

DavidH16 Bit poster

I had experience with vmware fusion for my linux VM's and not Windows prior. I tried Parallels as my work machine needed windows and I liked the integration which works well. After running P11 for a few months, I come to experience the following.

1. Windows 10 integration works really well.
    2. Linux Integration works well enough but I came across a problem that was a deal breaker.
    3. I run Kali for my security based needs which is based of Debian (supported). I can't use the tools because the mouse disappears and since Kali isn't supported, Parallels washed their hands so now I have to consider alternative options and what will come of that is I don't renew my subscription with Parallels. I don't expect a company to support all versions of linux but I expect major distributions to be supported even more so when its a variant of a major supported distribution. I can't imagine the differences would consume that much time but at the end of the day its a business decision. I'm just putting my 2 cents in to make people aware and for Parallels to consider improving support OS's. Perhaps access to beta release of the tools or even a developer channel that allows us to assist in fixing these issues.

18. James Rome

James Rome Hunter

So it's over a month now, and still no 16.04 support. Parallels can access the betas of common Linux distros to support them BEFORE release.

19. marat_t

marat_t Pro

Hi James. Ubuntu is working fine for me. I wasn't able to replicate the issue you reported. I tested clean installation and upgrade from 15.10.

Try this one:
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/123795

20. TonyP2

TonyP2 Bit poster

Ok, this was a nightmare for me, but I solved it by choosing 'Reset' from the Parallels 'Actions' menu; then at the boot choices, I chose 16.04 - upstart. That allowed me boot up successfully back into the desktop. I did reinstall Parallel Tools, but that didn't help me with my default boot.