Start menu not working with Coherence for Win 10 build 14328 (insider preview)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DagB1, Apr 24, 2016.

1. DagB1

DagB1 Bit poster

Start menu not working for Windows 10 build 14328. It is basically being rendered inside the last opened window. To see this you need to open at least one app/window before switching to coherence. If you use full start screen, then the screen will be rendered inside all open windows.

2. Hello DagB1,
    You might have this trouble because of Windows user profile corruption.
    Kindly follow the steps mentioned in the article and let us know how it works.

3. DagB1

DagB1 Bit poster

Created a new user in Win 10 and removed the old one. Same problem for the new user, so I don't think it's a user profile problem. Btw. Start menu is working fine in full screen. The problem is only with Coherence.

4. Sasti@Parallels

Sasti@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello DagB1, You could also try reinstalling the Parallels tools, Actions>Reinstall Parallels Tools. Let us know how it works.

5. DagB1

DagB1 Bit poster

Hello Sasti. Tried reinstalling Parallels tools but without any luck. Same problem.

6. thurin

thurin Junior Member

I have this problem as well in build 14328. I would guess it's due to the redesigned Start Menu in this build.

7. DagB1

DagB1 Bit poster

There's something more going on here. Whenever I try out coherence mode, it end up with Windows being unstable. But unable to reboot Windows, and unable to restart Parallels. Restarting the machine is now the only option, but even that fails. In the end the only option is to hold down the power-button until the machine reboots. Then everything is nice until the next time I try out coherence mode. Have never had that problem before 14328.

8. DagB1

DagB1 Bit poster

Just confirmed that there is the same problem with build 14332

9. Sasti@Parallels

Sasti@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello All,
    Have you installed the latest build of Parallels Desktop 11(Parallels Desktop-> Check for updates) and updated the Parallels tools? Try and let us know if there are any changes.

10. DagB1

DagB1 Bit poster

No, I hadn't updated, but same problem with Version 11.2.0 (32581)

11. JuanL1

JuanL1 Bit poster

I have same problem..

12. thurin

thurin Junior Member

Yes, same problem in 32581 and latest insider version 14332 for me as well.

Sasti - do the insider builds work in coherence for you? Seems like it would be an easy thing to test out.

13. thurin

thurin Junior Member

This is still a problem in Insider build 14361.

I believe it has to do with how the start menu is drawn over the background. If there is a window (like file explorer or CMD prompt) where the start menu would be displayed, it draws OK over the window.

[​IMG]
    Please give us an update on if this is being worked on.

14. JasonV1

JasonV1 Bit poster

I have had the same issues, i can confirm it is still a problem in build 14361 :(

15. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi JasonV1, make sure Parallels Tools are reinstalled
    1. Go to Device Manager:
    2. Switch to Start Screen
    start typing "Device Manager"
    switch to "Settings"
    3. Expand Display adapters and Monitors sections. Make sure "Parallels Display Adapter (WDDM)" and "Generic non-PnP Monitor" are installed.
    4. If you see exclamation marks next to those devices or "Parallels Display Adapter (WDDM)" is not installed (some other display adapter is shown instead):
    Right-click on those devices and choose "Uninstall"
    Click on to scan for hardware changes. Proper drivers should now be installed.
    Make sure the number of Generic non-PnP Monitors matches the number of real Monitors connected to your Mac.

16. JasonV1

JasonV1 Bit poster

17. thurin

thurin Junior Member

The issue seems to be that in the start menu has been redesigned in the Insider Builds in preparation for Windows 10 Anniversary Update. It's being drawn differently over the desktop and Coherence mode doesn't have the background for it to display on top of. If there's a full screen windows app (or a windowed one strategically placed where the start menu would display) then it displays fine. Everything else is working correctly in Coherence except for this.

The start menu broke starting with build 14328. Builds prior to that worked. Here is the blog post announcing the start menu changes: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...nsider-preview-build-14328-for-pc-and-mobile/

paolohu1 likes this.
  18. JasonV1

JasonV1 Bit poster

I agree thurin but support don't seem to be getting it, I guess when the anniversary update is released they will have 100's of broken users and might be a bit more hasty!

19. paolohu1

paolohu1 Bit poster

yes this definitely seems to be the issue. i generally run windows in coherence mode with the windows task bar showing on a 2nd monitor. until that release there was no issue showing the windows start menu or notification center. now they are hidden. if you take a windows app and make it full screen on the same monitor the start menu will show properly - so it certainly seems like parallels is getting confused on how to draw the menu properly.

20. JasonV1

JasonV1 Bit poster

Still broken in 14371