An usb external numeric keypad does not work.

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ThomasNG, Dec 27, 2013.

1. ThomasNG

ThomasNG Bit poster

I want to use an usb external numeric keypad. The keypad has numlock, /*-+1234567890.000 backspace and enter keys. It works fine with Mac, all of the keys can be recognized by my mac 10.9. When I use it in the parallels, 9 becomes pageup, 8 becomes up, 7 becomes home , 6 becomes right, 4 becomes left, 3 becomes pagedn, 2 becomes down, 1 becomes end, /*-+ work. What should I do?

2. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi Thomas,

- Just like a regular PC running Windows, the numeric keypad moves the cursor instead of typing numbers if the num-lock is off.
    - Mac OSX doesn't really have a concept of num-locks (at least when using the Apple keyboard). So, Parallels changed the clear key (near top left of numeric keypad) to be the num-lock toggle key.
    - All you have to do is hit the clear key while in Windows Virtual Machine (under Parallels) and you can toggle your num-lock.

3. mickklass

mickklass Bit poster

Apple USB Keyboard Numeric Keys

Is there any way to make this permanent, or does the clear key need to be hit every time the VM is started?

Mick

4. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

There was a discussion about this at http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?103511

I haven't checked anything later than Windows XP. Maybe Windows 7/8 has changed, or maybe there's a better utility to make that happen.

5. MadelaineD

MadelaineD Bit poster

Hi, I have just purchased Satechi USB numeric keypad model no ST-U2NK to assist whilst using Sage on parallels (very essential) as my Belkin bluetooth keypad doesn't pair with my macbook pro. All the keys on the top row and right hand side (tab / * bk sp - + enter) are working ok in Sage but all the numbers are not. They all work fine on the Mac side. There is no Number lock. There is a switch on the underside for PC/Mac but neither seem to work.

Any ideas ??
    Thank you !!
    Madelaine

6. Sasti@Parallels

Sasti@Parallels Parallels Support

Please try this solution and let us know how it works.

7. MadelaineD

MadelaineD Bit poster

Hi thank you for this link, I actually came across this after I posted above and although I couldn't follow it in detail, it did prompt me to look at the settings in the virtual machine and I managed to add the keypad and set it to work under Windows instead of the Mac and hey presto it worked, very delighted user here so thank you very much!!!

8. Sasti@Parallels

Sasti@Parallels Parallels Support

You're welcome @MadelaineD
    Feel free to reach out to us any time.

9. Annemi

Annemi Bit poster

Hi. Where did you go for the settings. If I go to add bluetooth device it doesn't recognise my number pad so not sure how to add it.