Parallels 12 & Windows 10 - Multi Display

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Richard3, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Richard3

Richard3 Member

Hi,
    What is going on with v12/Windows 10 and multiple displays? It used to be Windows would extend from the Mac and to my monitor that I added. Now Parallels does some odd "tabbing" and Windows 10 thinks I have 5 screens. This did not start until I updated to v12 of Parallels.

I also find when I am looking at program that are minimized to the task bar and I get a preview, it is VERY laggy - especially when I have multiple Remote Desktops minimized (as I often do for support).

Attached Files:

ethomp likes this.
  2. TraciD

TraciD Bit poster

I'm having the same problem. It really sucked because I was doing a webinar with PPT presentation and couldn't use the presenter view. I have no idea how to solve this problem and am hoping help comes soon. :(

3. Richard3

Richard3 Member

this is DRIVING me nuts. I have basically given up on my 2nd monitor. This is crazy.

How does one revert back to the older version of 11?

4. DustinHullett

DustinHullett Product Expert

download parallels desktop 11 .DMG from here: http://www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd11
    uninstall parallels desktop 12 by deleting it from the applications folder on your mac.
    Leave the VM's .PVM files where they are so your virtual machines arent disturbed
    Run the parallels desktop 11 installer and reinstall parallels tool's when you start your VM.
    You will now be back to parallels desktop 11
    I alwayse recommend taking a backup before installing or changing any software.

5. KavehV

KavehV Member

I'm having the same issue. What is going on here? How did they break something so fundamental?

6. PeterB11

PeterB11 Bit poster

-----------------------

SERIOUSLY?

Support for multi-monitor is removed without any notice. It is replaced by junky tabs at the the top of the screen which don't even work - and the resolution is go back to v11.

Is a fix planned for this?

7. StuartE

StuartE Bit poster

I was warned off installing PD12 a few weeks ago because of this issue by a colleague.

Well, I figured, it must've been resolved by now, since PD11 just bugged me again to upgrade.

So I did the upgrade.

AND YES. MULTI-MONITOR SUPPORT IS STILL BROKEN.

Comeon guys. Plug in a second monitor and test your software before releasing it! This is not good enough!

8. JohnK3000

JohnK3000 Bit poster

I have the same problem....switching back to PD11 until problem is resolved

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    StuartE likes this.
  9. KavehV

KavehV Member

It's not specific to windows 10 either. It's any VM I've tried (Ubuntu included) that has the "Use All Displays in Full Screen" option on.

StuartE likes this.
  10. Richard3

Richard3 Member

Wow, really? That I did not expect... this is a awful bug.

11. DustinHullett

DustinHullett Product Expert

I'm dealing with the broken second monitor also. The only way I can run my second monitor is to make sure use all displays in separate space is checked in apple system preferences and that use all displays full screen is not checked in parallels desktop settings. This way there are no tabs and if parallels doesn't send my VM to the second monitor I can drag it to it and then click full screen button in top pane. I didn't have a problem at all until I installed the GM Release of sierra yesterday. I to am waiting on a real fix and not just a workaround. I have talked to all the contacts I have as a product expert and I have been told that the problem is known by the development and concern teams and a fix is in the works.

StuartE likes this.
  12. PeterB11

PeterB11 Bit poster

Thanks - nice to know a fix is planned and this is not new "intended behaviour".

13. VenkR

VenkR Bit poster

Ditto. Reverting to 11. It seems the option to disable "Use OS X Full Screen" has been removed, which is a non-negotiable for me, as I often have Mac apps floating on top of Windows, and having to choose even using Dustin's setup is not an option. Parallels, are you working on restoring full screen functionality as it was before?

14. PeterB11

PeterB11 Bit poster

FYI - My interim solution is to use coherence, which gives me multi-monitor but I have never been particularly happy with performance in this mode - even with a very well spec'd machine. While is it a nice 'extra', I prefer to be in one environment at a time - not mixed.

15. SimpleMath

SimpleMath Bit poster

I am experiencing the same issue, and am quite angry that multi-monitor support was either left out of the update or purposely removed. Those tabs are are junk. What is going on Parallels?
    This needs to be addressed ASAP.

16. Richard3

Richard3 Member

please for the love of God fix this issue.

17. Richard3

Richard3 Member

New update to Parallels v12, not a word in the release notes in the popup about this issue....

18. CharlesP2

CharlesP2 Bit poster

Not fixed in latest update. Even with Pro version.
    Just went back to v11 - even on Sierra - worked a treat!

19. BigGJS

BigGJS Member

This is still an issue, please can we have a firm fix date I really don't want to downgrade I don't have the time!

20. Hi Guys, we have no ETA for fix until it will be available, but we will let you know once we got any information or workaround from the Development team