Windows 7 Update process stuck at "Checking for updates"

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by StephanT2, Oct 19, 2016.

1. StephanT2

StephanT2 Bit poster

Hi, I'm running Parallel Desktop for Mac Osx Latest version on top of Sierra.
    I did a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro based on an ISO downloaded yesterday from a legal source (softwaregeek) after purchasing a license.
    It installs OK until it reaches the windows 7 desktop at which point the install never completes. I have to choose to 'finish the installation manually' then install parallel tools to complete it.
    After a reboot, I try to run windows update. It just hangs there saying 'checking for updates'.
    I did search the forums, no dice.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. Dinesh@Parallels

Dinesh@Parallels Guest

The Windows virtual machine would have stuck or frozen during the update process. Please reset the virtual machine and check if it works!

3. StephanT2

StephanT2 Bit poster

Ok, i've tried that, and no luck. I boot up, select reset, it reboots, asks if i want to continue as system repair, i select yes, then ask me if i want to do a system restore, i select yes.

I reboots again, etc... I have internet, everything works except... Windows update never updates (never starts, it doesn't lock up either, it just stays there saying 'checking for update' and never completes or does anything).

Here's a screenshot: http://take.ms/Cn8lm

The closest thread I could find is: https://forum.parallels.com/threads/parallels-11-windows-7-windows-update-not-working.331316/

Unfortunately, both solutions listed in the thread are out of date: the first one (ms fixit) is no longer available as a download, while the second (messing about with the command line) just throws errors about access denied etc.

4. StephanT2

StephanT2 Bit poster

5. DustinHullett

DustinHullett Product Expert

i have had the same problem since i updated to Parallels Desktop 12. I never found a fix and leaving Windows update on Automatic has caused me a lot of trouble in the past with high CPU and RAM usage so i alwayse disable windows updates vi the windows updates menu and then download the newest service pack and updates wrap up and install. This has kept me up to date so far with no issues. You can google windows 7 x64 updates wrap up and you should see numerous links to microsoft updates. Just download the newest one install and your good.

6. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Glad to hear that the issue is resolved and appreciate you for sharing these steps here.

JeremyF1 likes this.
  7. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Yes, instead downloading all the updates disabling automatic updates and downloading patches then installing will help but this step will mostly work for Windows 7 but not for latest Windows versions.

8. Mr. C.

Mr. C. Member

9. LauraC1

LauraC1 Bit poster

I'm having the same problem, I had to stop the windows update service. I dowloaded the KB3020369 and the KB3172605, but couldn't install them, first I got a message that the service wasn't running. I activated manually the windows update service, but it hang in searching updates. This doesn't work either for me. StephanT2 dit that work for you?

Thanks

10. JeremyF1

JeremyF1 Bit poster

With automatic updates turned off:
    1. How will I know when there is a Windows 7 update?
    2. How will I know what Knowledge Base article to go to for the next Windows 7 system update?

Currently I have automatic updates turn off.
    [​IMG]

https://forum.parallels.com/threads...k-at-checking-for-updates.338597/#post-811642

I performed the instructions in post #4:
    1. downloaded KB3020369 and ran update, and then
    2. downloaded KB3172605 and ran update
    Installed updates shows the following:
    [​IMG]

I expected to see #2 and #3: they are the updates I explicitly downloaded and installed. But why do I also see #1 and #4

QUESTIONS:

1. Are these additional updates to install?
    2. How will I know when there is a Windows 7 update (since automatic updates is turned off)?
    3. How will I know what Knowledge Base article contains an update I should download and install?
    4. How did KB2534111 get installed? (See red circle #1.)
    5. How did KB976902 get installed? (See red circle #4.)

11. JeremyF1

JeremyF1 Bit poster

According to Microsoft Help Desk, KB3020369 and KB3172605 correct problems with Windows Update. Following the Help Desk's instructions, I turned on Automatic updates back on. I then click CHECK FOR UPDATES.

Since I created the Windows 7 Virtual Machine today, there are many additional updates totaling 213- additional. I clicked START DOWNLOADING (since the automatic action would be invoked hours later at 3am tomorrow morning.)

After downloading the 213-additional updates and clicking install, here's what I see:
    [​IMG]

I hope this will be helpful to others who install Windows 7 and experience problems with Windows Update.

12. JeremyF1

JeremyF1 Bit poster

Windows Update tells me that there are now 10-important updates.

[​IMG]

When I click "10 important updates are available", I see the following list:

[​IMG]

QUESTIONS:
    1. Does the topmost update (marked with a red #1) include ALL of the other 9-updates (marked with red #2 brackets)?
    2. Do I check-mark ONLY the top most item (red #1) and click OK?
    3. Do I check mark ALL 10-items (red #1 and #2) and click OK?