New computer setup

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by HallS, Sep 15, 2016.

1. HallS

HallS Junior Member

I just got a new iMac and will be moving everything to it, including Parallels (plus Windows and Quickbooks). I have multiple questions now....

1) Can I install Parallels, using my existing license/key ? It will be temporary, as in hours or worst case, a day or so.
    2) Is it recommended to MOVE my current virtual machine or start over from scratch ? I have no problem starting over. I know it's more time-consuming but sometimes a 'clean slate' is a good start.
    2a) I'm thinking I may want to move it because of Windows. I have a license/disc for Windows 8.x (can't remember if it's 8.0 or 8.1) and used the 'free' upgrade to Windows 10. I thought the free upgrade was a time-limited thing so I may not be eligible now.​

Hmmm, I thought I had more questions.... I'll probably think of them later though !

2. Hello RealzymeL,
    In order to move the software from one computer to another, you should first uninstall Parallels Desktop from your old Mac, then install it on the new one. For detailed description please refer this article
    -> You can also simply transfer your Windows virtual machine to your new Mac by following the steps from the article.
    Please write back to us for further questions and we will be happy to help!

3. Dark_star

Dark_star Bit poster

what if old mac died, not able to uninstall ????

4. Dark_star

Dark_star Bit poster

what if old mac died, not able to uninstall ????

5. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

You can transfer Parallels Desktop to new Mac even if you cannot uninstall from old Mac. Refer this blog.