Using Parallels 11 on two mac computers

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Gwen Nadin, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Gwen Nadin

Gwen Nadin Member

Hello everyone
    I was wondering if a kind person would mind advising me the best way to install my original Parallels 11 on my new mac. I have read that you need to uninstall it on the old mac first. If I do this, then I do not have access to the software|files etc that I want to transfer over to my new mac. Is this right? The process of transferring files will take me a while. Is there an easy way to grab all the files before I deactivate parallels on my old mac.
    Thanks for your guidance anyone
    Regards
    Gwen

2. Hi @Gwen Nadin , you can copy your VM's file (.pvm) on external device an then transfer it on your new Mac. Your .pvm file consists of all your Windows files and OS configuration.
    Then you can deactivate your Parallels Desktop license using this KB article, and after that uninstall it and then install PD on your new Mac and activate it with your license key.

3. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

4. Gwen Nadin

Gwen Nadin Member

Hello Maria, sorry for the delay in replying have been babysitting grandchildren. Thank you for your reply. I understand your concept of copying the pvm file., however I would like to install windows 10 as I am currently on windows xp which is very old software. Ideally I believe this would be a clean install as I have done on my mac side. It looks like I would need to purchase another licence for parallels 11 by the looks. I am not ready to go to 12 as I have just got to grips with parallels 11. Is there another way I can grab all my info and make this challenge an easy transition. Also do I 'install parallels first or windows 10 on my new computer' Many thanks again for your assistance
    Cheers
    Gwen

5. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hello Gwen Nadin,
    We really understand your concern as suggested earlier you can move Parallels Desktop and the XP pvm to the new Mac. You can also create a Windows 10 VM when you have XP VM running on the new Mac. As you can run multiple VM's using Parallels Desktop. You cannot install Windows 10 without installing Parallels Desktop unless it is a Bootcamp.

6. Gwen Nadin

Gwen Nadin Member

Thankyou Ajith for your info on my query. I would prefer not to j stall windows twice as it takes quite a bit of ram and I really would not know how to delete the first copy if I did that. Ideally I would,like to install a fresh install so I don't take the problems from the older vm. Why can I not leave the old version on my old Mac and transfer the j do at will so I know I only install what I need...... if I install the old vm again, it will install items I don't want or need. It looks like I need to buy a new licence for parallel 11 and go from there.
    So do I install parallels and the. Install windows as a partition and how do I designate memory to parallels which suits me and not he default 64gb. Thanks again Gwen

7. Gwen Nadin

Gwen Nadin Member

Sorry Ajith if I did a pvm install then windows 10 how would I delete the old vm without issues. It would appear that I then would need to transfer any essential applications and documents to the new windows setup. And if so how would I do that. As windows 10 would. It be a clone I don't feel confident enough to do that without assistance. Thanks again
    Regards Gwen

need to

8. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

If you wish run Win XP on old Mac to transfer data to the new Mac then you can install Parallels Desktop 12, activate trial and install Windows 10. When you are sure that all the data is transferred then install Parallels Desktop 11 on new Mac and activate.

9. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

You can refer to this article to delete old VM. We don't have an option of transferring application only you can transfer data. If you need remote assistance you can reach our phone support at US Toll-free: +1 888-811-2489 or International: +1 703-579-0156.

10. Gwen Nadin

Gwen Nadin Member

Hi again Ajith, so sorry to keep asking questions.
    I checked my subscriptions today and can only find Parallels 11. I know I had probably 5, 7, upgraded to 8 and then 11. I was thinking I could put Parallels 7 back on as I have the registration key but if it has expired? this will be possible I assume. Then update it to my Parallels 11 when happy as I have the key for that also. Other than that I shall have to manually dump my info off windows xp to a harddrive and take it over that way, I guess.

The other question is how do I have the new drive expand further than the default of '64GB'. I found with my old computer this was not enough for what I do on the windows/parallels side.

I use a Photographic program, Genealogy also and proshow producer. Proshow producer uses quite a lot of memory. I keep getting a message you are running low on memory. Is there a way to make the drive expand further than 64GB, please. Many thanks
    Gwen

11. Hey, @Gwen Nadin we've received your question about hard drive expending too.
    Please let us know which version of Parallels Desktop are you using? Standard or Pro?

12. Gwen Nadin

Gwen Nadin Member

Hi again Maria
    So sorry did not see your message. I am using Parallels standard 11
    Cheers
    Gwen

13. Gwen Nadin

Gwen Nadin Member

Hi again Maria
    I have deactivated my parallels desktop 11 from my old mac, and tried to install it on my new mac, however I am getting a message - Parallels desktop can be installed from a disk image only?? Please open the Parallels desktop dmg file and try again?? Can you please help me with this as I now don't know how to continue. Do I need to delete the VM entirely on my old mac before I install it on the new mac.

14. Gwen Nadin

Gwen Nadin Member

Hi again, sorry about this.
    It seems on reading through the forum that Parallels 11 will not run on Siera which is what is installed on my new mac. I will be very disgruntled if I 'need' to buy Parallels 12 which I believe has many problems along with running very slow. Can you please advise me on this.
    So glad I did not actually remove my 11 before trying to reinstall the deactivated licence on my old mac.
    Gwen

15. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

16. Gwen Nadin

Gwen Nadin Member

Hi again and thank you for your wonderful help
    I was wondering if you could advise me please on how to install windows 10 on my parallels desktop 11 for mac. I cannot get it to install with the usb so I have created a dmg file per instructions on parallels website. I have tried to install windows 10 from there by locating the dmg file and running it. However it get stuck and says it cannot load the software. It stops at DHCP:- ??
    Would you mind advising me what I am supposed to do as I am unable to install at the moment.
    I would appreciate any guidance with this query pleas.e
    Warm regards
    Gwen

17. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

I suggest you refer to this article and install Windows 10 from USB. If you like to install Windows from ISO or DMG refer to this article.