Sierra guest on Sierra host hangs frequently in Parallels 12

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by AndrewT3, Dec 28, 2016.

1. AndrewT3

AndrewT3 Bit poster

I have a 6Gb Sierra guest VM (on 16Gb 2013 MacBook Pro Retina host running Sierra). The guest hangs frequently. CPU usage isn't that high.
    Anyone experienced similar and have a fix?

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @AndrewT3 do you have any external devices connected to Mac OS X Sierra virtual machine? If so, please disconnect it from the virtual machine(Not from Mac side) and check if the issue persists or not.

3. AndrewT3

AndrewT3 Bit poster

There are no external devices attached, I'm afraid.

4. Could you please create a screenshot of the Activity monitor and send it to us?

5. JohnA10

JohnA10 Bit poster

I'm also experiencing hangs with Sierra guest, Parallells Desktop 12.1.1 pro edition running on 16Gb 2013 MacBook Pro Retina. No hardware connected to the guest. When the guest hangs, I suspend and resume the guest, which brings it up to speed again.
    I have a feeling that the machine itself does not hang (as I can see the cursor flashing) but rather that the keyboard and mouse isn't connected to the guest any longer.

6. CarlosG5

CarlosG5 Bit poster

I have Parallel 12 Pro Edition on Mac OS Sierra - And a VM that is a Mac OS Sierra. Mac is a Retina 5K with 32 GB. I also found that the system freezes. Somehow I found a black screen with a pause sign. The only way I have found to get back on track is to Force quit Parallel and restart Parallel and then the image. It will come back. This happen once or twice daily if I stop using for 30 to 40 minutes and try to return to work

7. Raj@Parallels

Raj@Parallels Guest

Please disable Pause when possible option steps followed:
    Shutdown macOS Sierra.
    Open virtual machine configuration > Options > Optimization > disable Pause when possible.