Windows 10 Anniversary Update (1607) fails with error 0x8007001f

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DanielJ2, Feb 23, 2017.

1. DanielJ2

DanielJ2 Bit poster

Hello,
    every time my Windows 10 VM wants to upgrade from Windows 10 1511 to 1607 it fails with the errorcode 0x8007001f.
    It doesn't matter which way I choose to update, via the normal Windows Update or the tool Microsoft provides.
    Bildschirmfoto 2017-02-22 um 16.41.48.png
    After some searches I found out that the error basically means "ERROR_GEN_FAILURE" and "A device attached to the system is not functioning". But according to the device manager everything works fine.
    Any solutions for this problem?

2. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

This happens on some machines. Depends on the installation history. Isn't caused by Parallels.
    As a 'default' thing, run the sfc /scannnow on the system before trying anything else.

Then look at this thread:
    <https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...refresh/c38a992e-6b20-4bc1-a2ad-217aaf7112ca>

Go to the bit entitled 'step 2', and download the tool there. Then read the section in the download page about 'using the tool to upgrade'.

It can be a real annoyance to get round (make sure you have a backup before starting....).

3. DanielJ2

DanielJ2 Bit poster

Thanks, will try this. I just posted here because both of our Win 10 Paralells VMs are suffering from the same problem while all other machines are working fine.

4. Swati@Parallels

Swati@Parallels

Hello DanielJ2, it seems like known issue with Windows 10. Do you have any antivirus install in Windows 10 VM? If so, please uninstall antivirus and perform the clean boot. For information, please check this Microsft article.

5. DanielJ2

DanielJ2 Bit poster

Hi,
    neither the Update/Upgrade tool did work nor doing the clean boot. I tried the update tool with the clean boot and the normal update program (doesn't give me an error, just "Error during installation" after the reboot).
    There is no Anti Virus installed, only the Windows Defender. I am trying it again with a disabled defender (and clean boot) and will report back.

6. Arunraj

Arunraj Junior Member

Hello Daniel,
    You can update your Windows using the latest ISO image by following the instructions below:
    1. Download Windows 10 ISO on your Mac
    2. Connect the Windows 10 ISO Image as CD/DVD by referring this article.
    3. Initiate the Windows 10 installation from CD/DVD and choose to keep all files and applications to avoid data loss.

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  7. DanielJ2

DanielJ2 Bit poster

Disabling Windows Defender does nothing.
    Using the Iso Image to install/upgrade Windows 10 doesn't work too. It aborts with the following error:
    Windows_10_Installation_Fail.thumb.jpg.b0d0d21cf99706f4c0368b8b5a8452b0.jpeg
    I can't find any errors in the windows event log.
    There is really nothing special on this machine... Basically just Visual Studio and some other dev tools + Office.

8. And did you untick the "express installation" option during Win VM installing?

9. gizmo43

gizmo43 Bit poster

how do you disable the lock screen in windows 10?

10. Hi, you can try these steps.
    Please let us know if it's not that case.

11. DanielJ2

DanielJ2 Bit poster

I eventually gabe up updating this machine and did create a new one. Works obviously fine so far, incuding updates.
    No Idea what was wrong.

12. Swati@Parallels

Swati@Parallels

Sounds great. Some windows updates fail because they want to be installed by themselves and not with a bunch of other updates. Please feel free to reach us anytime.

13. lorein

lorein Member

Getting update error is common, while updating Windows 10 some update start showing errors and stuck in the installation process.
    So, first disable the antivirus program as it is found in many cases the antivirus program conflicts with the update and a result you start getting the error. Also update Windows Defender and then try to install the update again.
    Apart from that check the drivers and update them if needed and execute a SFC scan.
    Source: http://www.fixwindowserrors.biz/blog/repair-update-error-0x8007001f

14. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @lorein, thanks for the suggestions and the article is very useful! We appreciate the effort!