Black windows when switching to coherence

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MenzaD, Jun 19, 2017.

1. MenzaD

MenzaD Bit poster

Whenever I switch to coherence, all of the windows are black. Every so often the start menu is visible, but will turn black as well after the 1st use. I have tried repairing windows, increasing the graphics memory allocation and resetting the permissions. So any help would be appreciated.

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @MenzaD , please exit coherence mode and then please click Actions > Reinstall Parallels Tools and enter coherence mode once again and check if that helps.

3. MenzaD

MenzaD Bit poster

It did not. Same black windows

4. PaulC10

PaulC10 Bit poster

I have the same problem - and it is a recurring one, seeming to happen every time Parallels or the Tools is updated. I have to wonder why nothing is being done about this issue.

5. PaulC10

PaulC10 Bit poster

FYI - here's the solution that worked for me to restore normal wiindows in Coherence:

If you are experiencing issues with coherence view mode (Gray area whilst using apps) in Windows Virtual Machine:

1. Take a backup of your .pvm file by following the article: http://kb.parallels.com/4859 before following the below mentioned steps.

2. Access Virtual Machine configuration (Refer article: http://kb.parallels.com/117287 ) and change 3D acceleration settings and switch between -> Actions -> Configure -> Hardware -> Graphics -> 3D Acceleration -> Disabled & Direct X 10 & Direct X 9

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @PaulC10, exactly! Thanks for your suggestions! Please let us know if you've any questions about the product and we are here to help!