Windows 10 and Parallels 12 - Extremely slow, unuseable

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by HarryS5, Feb 21, 2017.

1. HarryS5

HarryS5 Member

I'm having a huge issue with Windows 10 and P12. I recently wiped my MacBook Pro (13inch, late 2014 model) to have a nice fresh install of my development tools. My old system was cluttered, but ran Windows 10 and Parallels 11 without issue.

I purchased P12 and and installed on my machine, expecting the same performance and great experience I had with P11. Except this time, nothing works properly. Boot times are 5 minutes, start menu doesn't even open, can't run command prompt. pretty much maxes out my CPU.

Did I do something wrong? It can't be hardware related as I ran the exact same setup on the older version of Parallels without an issue.

Can I transfer my license from P12 back to P11 ?

Hopefully someone can help.

2. Hi, there is could be several reasons of the performance issue.
    Could you please provide us with the screenshot of the Activity monitor once you start Parallels Desktop and VM and problem report
    You can generate report using this KB article.

3. @HarryS5 except for that you can download Parallels Desktop 11 from this link and activate it with your license key.
    Please let us know if you have any questions.

4. DavidE7

DavidE7 Member

Hi @Maria@Parallels

I have the exact same issue.
    Was on macOS 10.11 before, Parallels 11 and Windows 7 before (same computer with 16GB Ram, 8GB to the VM), and things ran smooth & snappy!

had to update to macOS 10.12 and thus I thought Paralells 12 was needed, so purchased this update. Now Windows is unbelievably slow. Close to unusable. Not this is not only graphics related but also running things like compilers that used to be fast are now slow.

What to do?

5. Hi, did you reinstall Parallels Tools?

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi DavidE7, did you enable encryption for your virtual machine? It could affect virtual machine performance.
    An encryption module is provided by Parallels and is built into the Parallels Desktop. The built-in module uses a sufficiently strong and fast encryption algorithm.
    FileVault will add the same additional time to complete file operations with an SSD as it does with an HDD. Since the SSD is faster, FileVault's performance hit will actually be more noticeable! Please disable it if you have already enabled.

7. DavidE7

DavidE7 Member

@Maria@Parallels
    Yes, I dit, removed, rebooted, reinstalled, same thing
    @PaulChris@Parallels
    No I didn't, it all runs default.
    I did turn of everything that allows windows to access the mac share mac, ie. allow access to disks on mac, coherence

Please provide alternatives. As I said, parallels 11 was super fast

8. Bobellini

Bobellini Bit poster

These Sierra/PD12/Win issues have been raised in other threads. e.g.
    Slow Virtual Machine Performance - Windows 10 AU + Parallels 12
    Deathly Slow performance, inability to run modern apps etc ... I had all these issues.
    Checked and did all the things recommended or suggested ... wasted my time!
    My fix ... revert to PD 11 ... that fixed all the problems.
    I continue to watch the threads in the hope that the PD12 issues will be fixed ... forever the optimist.

9. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi all, please check out this article to distribute your Mac CPU resources between Mac OS X 10.12.3 and Windows 10 in the most efficient way. You can also change the "Resource limit" depending on the usage. " Tune Windows for speed " and "Better performance" will optimize the speed of your Windows 10 virtual machine.

10. Bobellini

Bobellini Bit poster

Thanks Paul ... all optimisation settings you suggest were already applied to no avail.
    But thanks for at least making an effort, old son. Encouraging to know Support is alive
    and trying ...

11. PetrK2

PetrK2 Bit poster

Yes, I still also resolves this problem. Since October 2016. The problem causes external 4k monitor connection. But only sometimes .... but often ...
    It really has no solution? Half a year?
    Disappointed after good experience with Parallels.....

12. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Please submit a problem report and post the ID here (do it right after you reproduce the problem and see this error message) to investigate the issue faster.

13. DavidE7

DavidE7 Member

Team Parallels,
    like Bobelini said, none of these suggestions help. v11 is a huge difference though so I'd say the problem rely in the latest version 12 of Parallels.

I can add to the mix that I run file-vault = full disk encryption.
    Could this have to to with it? i.e. when windows needs to access the disk, the would affect the performance.
    ...I could see a few % on disk writes, but we're talking a windows that runs at <25% the speed than it did in Parallels v11 & mac OS 10.11

14. JohnK14

JohnK14 Bit poster

Team Parallels,

I'm joining this thread, have the same issue and have tried all of the above solutions without any success. Hope to see a fix very soon.

15. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @JohnK14, thanks for the feedback. Our Development team is working on it. We will update you as soon as we have a fix for this.

16. DavidE7

DavidE7 Member

Hi, Just checking in on this. I saw there was a small update released recently. Did that fix the performance issue?

17. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @DavidE7, yes! We would suggest you try the update for Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac 12.2.1 (41615) and keep us posted the results. Parallels strongly recommend keeping your copy of Parallels Desktop up-to-date. To download the latest update go to Parallels Desktop menu > Check for Updates.

18. PragmaticPraxis

PragmaticPraxis Bit poster

Why does Parallels keep suggesting updates, when those updates are more likely to ADD problems than fix them? These worthless boilerplate responses are total bullshit. Unless you KNOW you fixed things, quit suggesting updates to the next buggy piece of shit. It just pisses us off more. Oh, and fix your @%@$#ing software.

NeilM4 likes this.
  19. DavidE7

DavidE7 Member

Anyone tested version 13 yet? Still slow? Faster than v11!?

20. Shathish@Parallels

Shathish@Parallels Pro