[WIN10] Can't Type into Search Box

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by FreddieM, Dec 25, 2016.

1. FreddieM

FreddieM Bit poster

G'day everyone!

I can't type into the search bar on my Windows 10 virtual machine on Parallels 12. I can type into other things on the VM like Chrome, Paint.NET etc.
    I also run into an issue that tells me the Desktop.exe is missing when I start the VM and the taskbar is unresponsive for 5 minutes.
    Microsoft refuses to help me despite paying for their product...

Can someone help me get rid of these issues. It makes it so hard to use Windows.
    I have experienced these issues before but I just did a clean install with Windows 10 but I couldn't get it activated because the Digital Licence didn't carry over. Might have to do it again.

Thanks everyone and Merry Christmas!

2. NathanaelB1

NathanaelB1 Bit poster

That sounds to me like a corrupted install of Windows. I'd recommend trying a new clean install.

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  3. FreddieM

FreddieM Bit poster

Hmmm. Thats interesting considering I've had my VM for months now and it only stuffed up some days ago. I'll try resetting and see what happens. Otherwise I might have to do a clean install.
    Update: Wouldn't let me reset. I'll have to do a clean install.

4. FreddieM

FreddieM Bit poster

All fixed! Once I've finished installing all of my stuff onto the VM I'll take a Snapshot so I have something to go back to if it happens again!
    Thanks for the help @Maria@Parallels and @NathanaelB1 for the help!

5. Raj@Parallels

Raj@Parallels Guest

Working with Snapshots, please feel free to reach us for support.

6. Dima1

Dima1 Bit poster

I have same problem with Paralles 12 for Mac , need Help.
    Even more, can't type in any Windows window search field for example windows settings

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  7. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @Dima1, please try the following steps to fix the issue:
    1. Navigate to the folder C:\Windows\System32
    2. Locate ctfmon (Application)
    3. Right-click > Send to > Desktop (Create shortcut)
    4. Open run > type ' shell:startup ' (without quotes)
    5. Drag & drop the ctfmon shortcut placed in the Desktop to the Startup folder.
    6. Restart Windows & observe if the issue re-appears.

8. RobertH24

RobertH24 Bit poster

This fixed my issue as well, at least with the ability to type into the search box and a few other places. Still having the other issues of super slow startup, which I guess means I will have to reinstall Windows. It seems related to the windows task bar or windows explorer. After things finally settle down (15 minutes or so), everything runs ok.

9. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Probably, but let's try and isolate the issue first. Please optimize the performance of Windows and Parallels Desktop and let us know if that helps. We'll then proceed based on the results.

10. RobertH24

RobertH24 Bit poster

I have tried changing the settings in Parallels (Full Screen) and performed a minimal boot in Windows by turning off all non-windows services and all startup services, with no effect. All of my Win 10 updates are up to date as well. I don't think this is a Parallels 12 issue, because it started occurring shortly before I updated to 12. Essentially, when I start the VM, everything is fine up to when the task bar is loading, and then it takes 10 to 15 minutes before I can do anything. If you hover the cursor over the task bar during this time, you get an hour glass. But, after it finally finishes loading (or whatever it is doing all that time), all is fine. Including performance. This started after a hard stop, which is rare, so maybe something got hosed. I suppose I can start suspending the VM, instead of shutting down, at least till I get time to do a fresh install. ctfmon is working great though.:)

Thanks
    Bob

11. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

This would be the final solution, as your issue description seems to point to a corrupted Windows installation. However, you may first check for the issues in a test Windows user profile.