Cannot install windows 10 on parallel desktop 13.0.1 pro

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by jean-francoisb, Sep 7, 2017.

1. jean-francoisb

jean-francoisb Bit poster

I tried many times to install windows 10 and it isn't working. I always have the message: windows could not complete the installation. To install windows on this computer, restart the installing.

I searched on the forum. And I found something about unchecking the express installation. However on that version I cannot find that checkbox anywhere.

I tried to install it with an image from Microsoft. I also tried with the Get Windows 10 From Microsoft option. I always have the message

my version of parallels is 13.0.1 pro
    my version of mac os is Sierra(10.12.6)

AlexandrosP likes this.
  2. kat

kat Product Expert

Hi, I just want to make sure you are following these instructions when installing/creating your vm.

3. jean-francoisb

yes that is pretty much what I did.

here is my hardware:
    MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
    2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
    16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

I also made other tests. the windows 10 development evaluation works.
    I also tried with boot camp and it also works(the import in parrallels works).

Howevever I dont want to use bootcamp I want a real vm.

4. kat

kat Product Expert

You created a vm using Parallels Windows 10 Evaluation copy? If this is correct, your .iso copy of windows 10 may be corrupted. I would re-download it. Then follow the install instructions, If this in not the case, download a new copy of Parallels from the link in instructions 1.

5. jean-francoisb

unfortunatly it is not working. I even uninstalled parallels and reinstalled it with the link you provided. I tryed many time to redownload the image from installation assitant. I always delete the file Win10_1703_SingleLang_English_x64.iso to make sure it would download a fresh copy.

yes I did a test with the evaluation copy(the one with visual studio) that one works. I also installed it with boot camp. it also worked. I can run my bootcamp partition on parallels. But when make a vm with parallels it is not working. I even tried to install it with the iso provided by amazon. And I have the same message.

6. kat

kat Product Expert

I made you a pdf of how to create a vm and then install the operating system if you have any question please just ask . I will look to see if I can find a better explanation in the knowledge base

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    MohamedD1, StanF1 and AlexandrosP like this.
  7. AlexandrosP

AlexandrosP Bit poster

Hi I am facing the same issue as well. I have just bought parallels 13 and trying to install windows 10 (Tried both Home and Education edition) and i get the same message saying "windows could not complete the installation. To install windows on this computer, restart the installing". I have followed the path explained above and that has worked for me. Many thanks.

8. jean-francoisb

Try the pdf kat made in the last post. It worked for me.
    I think there is some bug in the version 13 or something like that.
    But the path suggested in the pdf is a workaround that worked with me

AlexandrosP likes this.
  9. AlexandrosP

AlexandrosP Bit poster

It worked for me as well. Good stuff.

10. kat

kat Product Expert

Hi AlexandrosP and jean-francoisb, I am glad the work around worked for you.

11. LawrenceR3

LawrenceR3 Bit poster

Kat, It worked for me. Thank you so much, I've spent hours trying to sort it out.

12. kat

kat Product Expert

Your welcome, I am happy I could help .
    kat