How to access the RAM-configuration when Parallels not running

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Anashwaran, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Anashwaran

Anashwaran Junior Member

This is the problem: when running Parallels I can access the configuration. But changing the RAM is only possible when Windows is shut down.
    But then I cannot access the configuration! I have 8 GB of Ram installed on my iMac. But in Window only 1 GB is accessible. So how to do that?
    I can't also update my Windows because then 2 GB Ram are needed. And my virtual machine is very slow now!
    Any idea?
    Thanks for any help

Attached Files:

2. Alfena@Parallels

Alfena@Parallels Pro

3. Anashwaran

Anashwaran Junior Member

Dear Alfena,
    I have read these articles 10 times but there is always the same problem (or I'm getting too old?)
    One article says if Parallels is closed, open it the go to Preferences and change the RAM. But mine is always grey-out. You cannot change anything!
    THe other says if Parallels is open close it and then access the preferences. But there is noway to find the preferences when Parallels are closed! That's my dlilemna. I thought I made this clear but it seems not. Can you tell me how to open the preferences when Parallels is not running? Thanks for further help

4. Alfena@Parallels

Alfena@Parallels Pro

Hello @Anashwaran ,
    Please open Configuration, go to Options > startup and shutdown , take a screenshot and provide us so that we can check.
    Thanks

5. Anashwaran

Anashwaran Junior Member

It's in German. Here the main points in English: User defined At the start of Parallels Desktop. Window Shutdown Parallels Asking

Does that help

Attached Files:

6. Anashwaran

Anashwaran Junior Member

I'm happy to say that the problem is solved! I changed the shutdown options and then the preferences were accessible and I could change he RAM. And that made a big difference. Thanks for bringing me to the point!

7. TobyS1

TobyS1 Bit poster

Glad to hear it - what settings did you use to get this working? Mine is set to 'Start up and shut down manually' and I am still unable to change any hardware settings - everything is greyed out.

EDIT: Never mind, I shut down Parallels and re-opened it, this did the trick.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  8. Alfena@Parallels

Alfena@Parallels Pro

Hello @Anashwaran ,

Glad to know it is resolved.Thank you for sharing.

9. Alfena@Parallels

Alfena@Parallels Pro

Hello @TobyS1 ,

Please shutdown Windows virtual machine and then try to change the configuration settings.
    Thanks