Warn High Sierra Users Against Installing Parallels 13

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by BrianS10, Aug 22, 2017.

1. BrianS10

BrianS10 Bit poster

Fortunately I was able to re-install Parallels 12 (Pro), and save what looked like a totally destroyed Windows installation. 13 is absolutely not safe when users are on the APFS. Forget it. Maybe it works on HFS+, who knows? But for now, you people ought to be warning against any install of Parallels 13.

2. Jigs Gaton

Jigs Gaton Product Expert

Brian, I am using V13 on High Sierra with APFS with minimal problems. Coherence is now useable, while Full Screen got worse since V12 here. But note that High Sierra is still beta software, and that's the real warning :)

ArtemS1 likes this.
  3. JohnF13

JohnF13 Bit poster

MacOS High Sierra is out of beta and I definitely agree Parallels 13.1 crashed Windows 10 from not loading properly

ArtemS1 likes this.
  4. Jigs Gaton

@JohnF13, Just installed Version 13.1.0 (43108) on all my machines here, updating from 13.0.1 in macOS 10.13 with no problem at all. There is still wonkiness going on with Mission Control and VMs in fullscreen mode, but that's been a problem throughout High Sierra's development, and is still not fixed.

Perhaps your problem is with the Windows version being used? I am using Windows 10 Pro 1703 (15063.608). Just guessing...

5. JohnF13

JohnF13 Bit poster

I am shocked it's working for you. I have the latest MacOS High Sierra 10.13 and after updating to Parallels 13.1 it no longer loads Windows 10 Pro with nested virtualization enabled. I had to roll back to Parallels 13.0 to be able to load Windows 10 again

ArtemS1 likes this.
  6. Jigs Gaton

I just use the defaults, here is what mine looks like:
    [​IMG]

7. JohnF13

JohnF13 Bit poster

My entire business relies on nested virtualization. Without it, I'm dead.

8. Jigs Gaton

Ur right, when I check that box, I can't open up my VMs either. Sounds like a support ticket is in order :(

ArtemS1 and JohnF13 like this.
  9. BerndS4

BerndS4 Bit poster

...disabling 'nested virtualization' works for me... (macOS 10.12)

10. BrianS10

BrianS10 Bit poster

Okay, to clarify my original post's apparent "position," I want to stress that just because I made the suggestion that users not install Parallels 13, I was actually aware that my problems didn't necessarily implicate Parallels, far from it. Only that with the new Mac OS, problems were surfacing. I'm having a much better experience currently, with Parallels at v.13.0.1, and macOS 10.13.1 (beta). I'm also fully aware (despite evidence to the contrary) that we've always been warned against installing beta software (especially the OS) on a production machine. In my own defense, I'm semi-retired and my Mac was not involved in any "production" then, or in the foreseeable future, when I decided to participate in the developers beta program from Apple. But a project, for a professional friend and client, popped up a few weeks into the ongoing beta program. That's on me.

At the same time, I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate, mainly for reasons not at all associated in any way with the "production" nature of my overall setup. Also, I've been in close touch with higher-level Apple support, and they are fully aware of problems with what's known as "clamshell mode" on many users running the beta, AND public, releases of High Sierra. Theses issues apparently extend to many users who aren't using clamshell mode, but ARE using a wide variety of external monitors (chiefly in conjunction with latest-version MacBook Pro models. And of course, wouldn't you know it, that would include me.

I've actually had very few issues with Parallels, over the years. But High Sierra has made Parallels usage rather sketchy in my experience. That's really all I can say, or add, about this discussion. I'll keep up with comments, as I am very curious as to how many of other people's issues fade away when Apple releases a serious "fix-it" update to 10.13. Thanks all!

11. JohnF13

JohnF13 Bit poster

I'm hoping Apple buys Parallels and natively integrate Parallels core features into the next MacOS release.

AndyB9 likes this.