13.1.0 Breaks Nested Virtualization

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jschrade, Oct 11, 2017.

1. jschrade

jschrade Junior Member

When I enable nested virtualization the VM will not boot with a fresh install. I can not use docker because it says that virtualization is disabled. I use docker within the windows guest os so I can make sure our configurations work cross platform. I can now not debug configurations that have issues in windows. Is this a recognized issue? Since I work on critical infrastructure I will be looking to another solution if I this is not addressed promptly.

2. RobinC4

RobinC4 Bit poster

I've spent all morning trying to boot my vm. Thanks to this post as soon as I disabled nested virtualization it booted up fine. This is unacceptable. I do docker development on my windows vm and without hyper-v I can't run docker for windows!

jschrade likes this.
  3. jschrade

jschrade Junior Member

It works in VMWare Fusion. I may have to switch to it if I can't continue my current work. Every hour I can't work costs me. Are we at least going to get a time line or some one to tells us they are working on it? What do I have to do to get this working? Anyone else that is having issues please post here. Maybe someone will respond.

4. JohnF13

JohnF13 Bit poster

My solution is to downgrade to Parallels 13.0 and re-enable "nested virtualization"

jschrade likes this.
  5. diman

diman Parallels Developers

Please, make report about problem and send it to Parallels.
    Go to Menu->Help->Send Technical Data
    If it possible, also write here number of report.

6. jschrade

jschrade Junior Member

I already reverted to 13.0. I didn't have time to wait for you to even ask for this because I have work to do. I have also started a pilot of VMWare fusion because this should have been handled much faster. I will await a fix but I don't have time to stop work so I had to find other solutions.

JohnF13 likes this.
  7. jschrade

jschrade Junior Member

Has this been fixed? Any estimated time? Do you even acknowledge there is a problem with nested virtualization and hyper-v support?

8. JohnF13

JohnF13 Bit poster

Due to the complexed nature of this issue, it'll likely be a while before Parallels acknowledges it.

9. jschrade

jschrade Junior Member

Are you still there or was this just a bot
    I don't understand how it would not be addressed with a hotfix. I guess most people must not use hyper-v or can live without it. This should be fixed asap. It seems like they are ignoring a broken core feature. What gives? Any staff out there care to shed some more light on the issue? Reading other messages posted here it seems only basic support replies to these so we get the typical "Did you restart your computer?" or check out this old outdate fix link type of support.

10. RobinC4

RobinC4 Bit poster

You would think spending $100 PER YEAR for pro would get you a bit better support than this.

11. JohnF13

JohnF13 Bit poster

Well, the "hotfix" is to rollback to a Parallels version in which "nested virtualization" once worked. In my case that is Parallels 13.0 until Parallels 13.2 or higher comes out.

12. MichaelD21

MichaelD21 Bit poster

That's pretty ridiculous, I've patiently waited for acknowledgement or a fix, looking at going back to Fusion now due to bad support.

13. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @jschrade, we released a new update Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac Update 1 Hotfix 1 (13.1.1-43120) and this update addresses this issue. To check for updates, click on the Parallels Desktop menu on Mac menu bar and select Check for Updates: http://kb.parallels.com/124262

14. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @MichaelD21, we released a new update Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac Update 1 Hotfix 1 (13.1.1-43120) and this update addresses this issue. To check for updates, click on the Parallels Desktop menu on Mac menu bar and select Check for Updates: http://kb.parallels.com/124262

15. MichaelD21

MichaelD21 Bit poster

Awesome all working for me now. Thanks heaps.

16. RobinC4

RobinC4 Bit poster

New patch works for me. Boots fine again with nested virtualization on, hyper-v working, docker for windows working.

17. Meenakshi@Parallels

Meenakshi@Parallels Pro

Glad to know that you were able to sort out the issue. Please get back to us for any further queries. Thanks!

18. Meenakshi@Parallels

Meenakshi@Parallels Pro

Glad to know that you were able to sort out the issue. Please get back to us for any further queries. Thanks!