USB problems - High Sierra/Parallels 13

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Parallels User, Nov 1, 2017.

1. I am trying to format a USB flash (8 GB) with the install image of Mint 18.3 from Mint 18.3 VM. There seem to be several problems in the interaction between Parallels and MacOS vis-a-vis USB management :
    1. I insert the USB stick and tell Parallels I want it attached to my VM which is running. It mounts up and I start the format to EXT4. Sometimes it completes, sometimes I get a Parallels message "A error occurred" (real helpful). From that point on the USB virtual ports seem hung or out of action - any attempt to insert a USB device results in no action. A complete restart of Parallels seems to reset the issue until next time.
    2. With Parallels installed, there is some weird interaction in USB management - Parallels is not running but some devices (usually FAT or EXT4 formats) don't show up in MacOS when inserted. If I uninstall Parallels, the devices show up fine. It appears that the Parallels USB support isn't getting out of the way if Parallels is not active.

- VirtualBox and VMWare seem to handle these cases fine (but have other issues ...).
    These problems have been around since El Capitan or earlier with Parallels 11.
    Anyone have any suggestions? I'll file a problem with Parallels - maybe they can fix it in Parallels 15 :)

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @SterlingG , please try Actions > Reinstall Parallels Tools and check.

3. Reinstalled tools ... same results. If Parallels VM with Linux Mint 18.2 is running and has the tools installed, it sees the USB device. If Parallels is not running, MacOS does not recognize the flash device unless Parallels is totally uninstalled - then all works as expected.

4. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Please reproduce this scenario, generate a Problem Report ID while the said scenario occurs (very important) and reply with the same.

5. Which do you need -
    - Parallels installed, not running, MacOS not recognizing USB
    - Parallels installed, Linux VM running, USB error
    ????