Bug report: unable to exit Parallels if exit attempted while snapshot is synchronizing

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by KorkyPlunger, Oct 30, 2017.

1. KorkyPlunger

KorkyPlunger Hunter

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a large VM (mine is 300GB)
    2. Manually create a snaphot and then, quickly, ...
    3. ... while the titlebar of the parallels window says "Synchronizing", choose "Quit Parallels Desktop"
    Result: You will get an error message saying and Parallels will not exit. Furthermore, even after the synchronization finishes, the "Quit Parallels Desktop" menu option will do nothing -- Parallels will not exit. The only solution is to force-quit Parallels.

2. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi @KorkyPlunger, can you please generate and send a technical report exactly after reproducing this behavior.

3. KorkyPlunger

KorkyPlunger Hunter

Done. Problem report is 223974964

One thing I noted is that it can be tricky to get the title bar to say "synchronizing" after creating the snapshot in step 1. What you need to do is make sure that there's been significant change in the VM state (since the previous snapshot) before taking the new snapshot. E.g. open lots of programs that eat up memory, make lots of changes to disk, etc. In my case, as a software developer, I just do a large compile in Visual Studio.

4. Dmitry@Parallels

Thank you for the report. I've reproduced the error while quitting Parallels Desktop during synchronization process, however after I close the pop-up message I am able to quit Parallels Desktop. Can you please try the following and let me know the results:
    1. Reproduce the pop-up error
    2. Close the pop-up
    3. Wait for a minute
    4. Try to quit Parallels Desktop

5. KorkyPlunger

KorkyPlunger Hunter

Dmitry@Parallels, I just had this happen again today. I closed the pop-up and I am still unable to exit parallels after 5 minutes. There is no disk and negligible CPU activities being undertaken by the Parallels process so I don't think any operations are still in progress.

Even after stopping the VM, I am unable to quit Parallels. Had to force-kill the process

6. Dmitry@Parallels

Hi @KorkyPlunger, "I closed the pop-up and I am still unable to exit parallels after 5 minutes." - please send us a technical report right after this is happening, I will make sure our Engineering Team will look into it right away.

7. KorkyPlunger

KorkyPlunger Hunter

Done. Report ID 228343428
    This time I waited 15 minutes, and did many attempts to quit Parallels in between

One thing I also noticed that's odd but I'm not sure if related: I run my VM on two external displays with my macbook in clamshell mode. When I try to quit parallels while the data is synchronizing, after I close that error dialog my second display disappears. I believe the display is "still there" (because some apps I had running on it are still running) but I cannot switch to it by changing spaces on the secondary monitor. However the VM seems to be running fine otherwise, just one of the displays is inaccessible.

8. Dmitry@Parallels

Thank you very much, @KorkyPlunger, I had reported all your observations and tech data to the Engineering team. Cannot promise anything though, for now I suggest to wait a bit while synchronization is finished..

9. KorkyPlunger

KorkyPlunger Hunter

Sure, not a problem. It's not a big deal to wait so long as I remember do to so. Usually this problem happens when I'm rushing out the door from work at the end of the day and trying to snapshot & shut down quickly. :)