Suddenly problems with shared folders

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by pilif, Jul 11, 2007.

1. pilif

pilif Junior Member

Hi,

for the last two days, I'm unable to use the shared folders feature any more. The Host is a 2.6 Ghz Mac Pro with 5 GB of RAM, the guest is Vista Ultimate. When I double-click the "Parallels Shared Folders" icon, Vista complains about being unable to access \\.psf

When I click details, I get

Error code: 0x80070035
    The network path was not found

As I said: The problem suddenly turned up, may be related to myself restoring a snapshot though.

Reinstalling Parallels Tools didn't help.

Any other ideas?

Using bridged networking if that is of any help.

Philip

2. pilif

pilif Junior Member

Hello again,

I managed to fix the problem by uninstalling Parallels Tool and then reinstalling it from scratch. Just installing it over the already existing installation didn't help as I posted in my request above.

Philip

3. latoga

latoga Bit poster

Having Same problem with P3.0 B 5160

I am new to Parallels but not to VMs (long time user of VMware, and bought Parallels for new MacBook Pro a few weeks before Fusion was released).

I have 3.0 Build 5160. I used the Parallels Transporter to move an existing Window XP Pro SP2 VMware Image to Parallels. I also installed another vm from scratch with XP Pro SP2. On both of them, I can't access the shared folders within XP to access the docs on the Mac. I get the same error as first reported in this thread.

Exact Error Message is:

I uninstalled tools completely, and re-installed with no benefit. All the file sharing options look correctly configured. I'm just trying to access the default share that is part of Parallels default config in order to open Visio and Project files on the VM.

I also tried creating a new shared folder and I get the same error message.

Has anyone else run into this? Any suggestions from Parallels Support?

Thanks!

4. gseib

gseib Bit poster

Same Problem with \\.PSF

So mapping a drive letter to each of the .PSF shares works fine (such as z: to \\.psf\.Home). but can someone explain why? While it is great that i can now point "My Documents" to z:\, what doesnt work it the launching of files from the osx side to the windows image. It fires up the correct application within the VM but i get the typical "\\.PSF\.Home is not accessable..." message. so why does using z: (which points to the same location) work but not the direct UNC path name?

I have tried using shared network as well as bridged network.

5. mkerley

mkerley Bit poster

I'm having exactly the same problem. Has anyone found a solution for this?

6. mkerley

mkerley Bit poster

Solved my own problem by reinstalling Windows inside my VM. Previously I was trying to use a converted VMware image.

7. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

It sounds like there was probably a conflict inside of the registry for the shared folders between Parallels and the old VMWare settings.

8. tgp1994

tgp1994 Bit poster

I don't mean to be bringing back an old topic, but for the benefit of everyone, here is what I did:

Went into the Guest OS, in my case, Windows Server, and uninstalled the Parallels tools. (The uninstaller had an error, so I had to run the installer to remove the tools.) I then rebooted. Next, I installed the tools, then rebooted. Then it worked. Hope I helped.