Windows 10 goes to Black Screen after most recent Windows Update

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JamesO3, Dec 12, 2017.

1. JamesO3

JamesO3 Bit poster

Have already attempted Reset: http://kb.parallels.com/123094
    Able to send Ctrl-Alt-Del & get blue screen with options, but unable to get Task Manager to successfully start.
    Multiple reboots haven't resolved anything either.
    Unclear how to proceed to get it to boot in safe mode, or otherwise resolve the issue.

2. Shathish@Parallels

Shathish@Parallels Pro

Hello @JamesO3 Parallels Support Here! We would request you to refer to this article http://kb.parallels.com/118732 and logon to Safe Mode and try to restore the virtual machine and check it helps. Thanks, Shathish

3. GrantB2

GrantB2 Bit poster

I'm having the same problem, tried almost everything on the forum, including the above referenced article. Is this a Windows 10 problem, a Parallels issue or both. I'm able to login, then screen goes black and no activity. Are there any other suggestions? I really need to get my Windows working for my consulting business. Can Parallels and Windows 10 be uninstalled and reinstalled? I can get to safe mode, but I'm not able to access Task Manager or any other window files. Looking for possible causes and solutions. I'm using a MacBook Pro mid 2012 with MacOS High Sierra 10.13.2, Windows 10 and Parallels 13.

4. GrantB2

GrantB2 Bit poster

Was told by Microsoft support this issue is most likely a Graphics Display Driver issue in Mac and Parallels. I need help in how to navigate to reset the graphic display? Anyone have any suggestions or guidance. Thanks.

5. Meenakshi@Parallels

Meenakshi@Parallels Pro

Please stop the virtual machine by navigating to Actions -> Stop in the virtual machine menu on the upper left, open the virtual machine configuration window (refer to http://bit.ly/1eQU5lF for assistance), navigate to Hardware -> CPU & Memory and allocate 2 processors (or just 1 if the total number of available processors is just 2) and 2 GB of memory for Windows [or just 1 GB if total Mac memory is only 2 GB (or) 3 GB if total Mac memory is 8 GB (or) 4 GB if total Mac memory is > 8 GB]. Then, select 'Graphics' and allocate 1 GB of video memory for Windows. Finally, ensure that 'Vertical Synchronization' is enabled and 'DirectX 10' is selected for '3D Acceleration' under 'Advanced Settings'. Then, close the window and check for the issue.Thanks!

AndrewH14 likes this.
  6. MartinW9

MartinW9 Bit poster

Hi Meenakshi,
    you solved my problem and made my day!! Thanks a lot.
    Regards, Martin

7. AndrewH14

AndrewH14 Bit poster

Finally a solution!!!
    I have been having problems with black app windows in Coherence mode with Parallels 12 and my newly purchased Parallels 13. Reinstalling Win10 Fall Creators on Parallels 13 did not solve it - but increasing the video memory to 4GB has fixed it.
    I have been searching for issues related to Coherence black app window - finally found this thread by resorting to reading the forum.
    Is there a KB for video issues with Windows 10 Creators edition?

8. KorkyPlunger

KorkyPlunger Hunter

I am having the same issue. My VM is set up with 7 cores and 10GB RAM with 1GB of video memory and DX10 with vsync enabled. I get the black screen every time after login. I've tried dropping down to the configuration recommended by @Meenakshi@Parallels above, but that did not work either.

In addition, the "reinstall parallels tools" option is greyed out so I cannot try that. I am also unable to boot into safe mode -- Windows 10 requires shift-F8 at startup to boot into safe mode, but neither holding this down on my keyboard during boot, nor attempting to send it via the "Devices-->keyboard" menu triggers a safe mode boot.

This VM is my primary work environment so I am now dead in the water. Can anyone please help me out here?

I've filed Technical Data for my VM, report ID is 239108280

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  9. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi @KorkyPlunger, I have created a trouble ticket for your directly in Second Line Tech Support. They will contact you soon to help with the issue.

10. KorkyPlunger

KorkyPlunger Hunter

11. KorkyPlunger

KorkyPlunger Hunter

Just finished my call with Parallels Support. Unfortunately my particular issue appears to be caused by the Microsoft Spectre/Meltdown security patch issued in the recent Windows 10 update. Parallels does not have a definitive fix for this issue yet, so they recommend people not apply this Windows Update yet.

Despite being unable to fix the issue at this time, thanks to everyone at Parallels for the prompt, excellent support.

12. RalleSPS

RalleSPS Bit poster

Can you say, wich Update-Number have this Microsoft Spectre/Meltdown security patches?

13. HowardP1

HowardP1 Bit poster

Well tried everything here and nothing works. Black screen with a mouse cursor. Go back to previous version adn everything works, try to upgrade to Win 10 Creator or accept any more updates and black screen with no access. CTL Alt Del does nothing.
    Every time try to boot up windows it tries to download the updates which kills the working version I the have to go adn remove the updates... Takes around 90mins before all this gets done. Snapshots help but don't resolve the underlying problem.

Running High Sierra, parallels 13 and win 10..

14. JendrikG

JendrikG Bit poster

Still no solution here ? We really need to work. The parallels-vm is my main work-machine.