Unable to install Snow Leopard Server on Parallels 10 or 12. Help?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by NicholasH2, Jun 13, 2017.

1. NicholasH2

NicholasH2 Bit poster

I have spent the last few hours tweaking settings to get Snow Leopard Server to work. I have the official copy of Snow Leopard Server that I bought from Apple directly. The problem occurs when Snow Leopard boots up. It leads to the Prohibitory symbol as attached below.
    Any suggestions to get this to work?

Attached Files:

2. Shathish@Parallels

Shathish@Parallels Pro

Hello NicholasH2, please make sure that you have followed the steps in this article http://kb.parallels.com/123215 and check it helps. If not, please feel free to contact us back. Thanks, Shathish

3. JeffY3

JeffY3 Bit poster

I had the same trouble as Nicholas when using a .dmg file. When I installed Snow Leopard Server from the actual optical disc, it worked.
    Parallels 12.2.1 on Mac OS 10.11.6

4. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Likely it is because while taking image from CD using disk utility, need to take image from the whole CD (above the volume), not just from volume with Mac installation

If DiskUtility on Mac OS 10.13 is used, need to choose View -> Show All Devices (default is show only volumes)

5. Wobo

Wobo Bit poster

I own a original 10.6 Server DVD and made a image. See the result:
    Elric can you help?

Attached Files:

6. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi
    there could be several reasons for this error. This could be an image of Snow Leopard for some concrete model of the mac or this could be an expired certificate of the image.

There should be an ability to look at installation error log. Likely it is there: while this error is displayed, click inside guest on Window -> Display Log. It is a problem with expired certificate if there is an error "'This copy can't be verified'. In the Installer logs there is a message cssmerr_tp_cert_expired." This can be workarounded by opening the Utilities/Terminal before proceeding with installation and entering the date with the command
    $ date 0613162710
    Providing that you are using the Parallels Desktop 14, you can try to enter the system-flag from the https://kb.parallels.com/en/124403 to rewind a time during installation. I believe there is no need to recreate the VM, it is ok to enter the flag for existing vm.

If it is an image for unsupported Machine, you can try to enter the system-flag (as in the mentioned above article)
    devices.mac_hw_model="Macmini2,1". Unfortunately I cannot say at the moment how to look at the list of supported machines for the image. The list is located in some .plist-file somewhere on the installation CD

7. Wobo

Wobo Bit poster

Hello,
    i try to follow you support but: Where can i find the „Display Log?".

8. Kerry Dressler

Kerry Dressler Bit poster

Screen Shot 2019-05-31 at 1.05.17 PM.png I have Snow Leopard Server running without a problem with installation or use on the Parallels 14 platform. To try out 15, I have an identical MacMini which meets all requirements running Mohave as the first machine is. I Installed 15 today plus Windows 10 with no problem. When I try to install Snow Leopard Server from the same image file I used in 14 I get as far as a screen that says to shutdown then restart my computer. I tried this shutting down the entire computer also just shutting down the Mac OS and Parallels 15. Restarting I encounter the same screen and cannot get past it. I know this image is working on my identical MacMini with version 14 but seem to have found a problem with 15. Are there any instructions anywhere for installing this mac OS on 15?