Converted .vmx file w/ Parallels, opening the VM, it locks/freezes after checking CPU speed

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JohnP13, Jan 10, 2018.

1. JohnP13

JohnP13 Member

Hello, I'm on a Macbook Pro with MacOS High Sierra 10.13.2, and Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac Pro Edition Ver 13.2.0(43213). I have acquired a 4GB zip file from Teradata of the database simulator, it is a container running on SLES11. After unarchive, it has the .vmx file, and .vmxf, .vmsd, and the .vmdk's.

I opened Parallels Desktop, went to File, Open, and navigated to the ./vmx file and Open, and it went through a coversion process As soon as it was done, ot executed to run. It brings up a Linux basic command line GUI where you choose the OS (container) to run. I do so, then it starts to load, within a second, it freezes and hangs there, just so happens after it detects the processor speed, and thats it. I have to use the STOP command from the overhead menu to kill it. After that, i can get into the config of the new VM added to the list, and try to tweak, not much there to do that with BTW.

Not sure what I may be doing wrong. I did this same thing recently with Netezza Database Container, but I have an .ova fiel I have to convert with a tool from VMware, and then read the /vmx file with Parallels, it converted it and then when running it, it was perfectly ok, and start up and shutdown, etc no issues.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can better work with the .vmx VMware file before or during reading it in for a conversion by Parallels Desktop?

Thanks!

2. JohnP13

JohnP13 Member

Bump, Anyone?

3. JohnP13

JohnP13 Member

re-bumping thx

4. JohnP13

JohnP13 Member

Getting super bumpy here....

5. JohnP13

JohnP13 Member

I need to find a way to addd through GRUB the kernel parameter: intel_pstate=disable, in the bootup sequence, as that is the issue, getting the error: Fast TSC Calibration using PIt or sometimes says: Fast TSC Calibration Failed. This is a counter, and needs to be turned off. If i can get help on how to get that edit to stick in the VM/Container at boot up via GRUB I presume, then I think I'll be golden. Thanks

6. basic612

basic612 Bit poster

Hi. Did you get anywhere with this? Thanks