Server 2008 and RDP?????????????????????

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by TomB9, Feb 6, 2018.

1. TomB9

TomB9 Bit poster

1.We had/have a stand alone windows 2008 server.
    2. We have a new Imac PRO.
    3. Latest version of Parallels
    4. Server works fine as a virtual machine on new Mac
    5. Set networking in a bridged mode - gave the mac a http://192.xxx .x 60 address and win 2008 virtual 192. xxx. x. 61 ( same and required as in the original). 6. Computers locally see the new VM- all the mapping and shares are the same and have access from both Windows and Mac computers.
    7. I know that before we use RDP for outside our hardware firewall connections that we have to be able to connect internally, but are UNABLE to connect internally to the virtual- even using remote desktop from Microsoft on the hosting IMAC Pro.- I get "connection refused" with the windows firewall turned off and "unable to find computer" with firewall turned on. The windows software firewall has always been turned off and the hosing Mac firewall is off. The windows rdp connections just give the standard "remote desktop can't connect to the remote computer for one of the below reasons........... ect)
    8. I have tried using port 3389 in the address, but still no go.
    9. What am I missing and what can I try?
    10. Got rid of so-called "ghost net adapter from virtual

Suggestions- it seems silly and I have almost 30 years of IT and Networking behind me.
    Thanks

Tom in Dallas

2. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi @TomB9, basically when you enable Bridged network mode for the VM and it gets the configuration from gateway - all the network features should work the same as with physical computer with no limitations. Am I right that you can ping the VM within the subnet, the VM has network access but you cannot connect via RDP to the VM from another computer with "connection refused" error? If yes, I suggest we troubleshoot Win Server: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ed-or-can-t-connect-to-remote-computer-or-rem (if you have Windows Server 2008 R2, please use this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...op-disconnected-errors-in-windows-server-2008).

3. TomB9

TomB9 Bit poster

Why would I troubleshoot what has already been working? The current physical machine has zero problems. Parallels makes a copy and wants to default to a shared connection and I alter to bridge and use a static ip. Why would I need to adjust or troubleshoot anything in a virtual when the physical has had zero problems since it was created some 7 years ago?? I have been around enough to know when one software company wants to blame another then that is passing the buck. I can tell by the forums I am not the only one with the problem and apparently under the same circumstances where a vm is not doing with RDP what the physical is. So what is parallels changing??? None of the issues that are mentioned by Microsoft have anything to do with our problem and all of those were checked as a normal course before my making contact. You I can ping and essentially do everything but connect with RDP.

TBB

4. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

My apologies, Tom, I didn't mean to blame anyone, but we really do not change any specific OS network settings after moving it to virtual environment. We do change Hardware ID, MAC address and a set of system drivers (video, sound, mouse/keyboard, network). So if you can ping virtual Windows from the location where from you plan to RDP inside but Windows refuses the connection, that's something in virtual OS which blocks the connection.

5. TomB9

TomB9 Bit poster

I fail to understand why I cannot create a virtual machine and then use bridged networking and setup manually the ip address and be able to rdp in? I, on the same mac, can turn the virtual off and log into the physical machine without one issue. This does not make sense. Help!

Thanks

Tom