Windows 10 keyboard language switches after recent update

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Dana3, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Dana3

Dana3 Bit poster

In the last few weeks when I click outside of Windows to my Mac desktop and back to Windows, the Windows keyboard language now always changes from US to Canadian multilingual. It does this every single time I do this even after I reset it in Windows.

This probably doesn't occur on normal Windows machines (i.e. non virtual Windows installs) because there isn't a way to click outside of the OS.

Is there a way to fix this?

2. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi @Dana3, by default your keyboard layouts are in sync between macOS and Windows, i.e. if you have two keyboard layouts on Mac (like ABC and Canadian) and similar layouts in Windows - toggling another layout on Mac will then cause layout to change in Windows as well, and it works vice versa.
    So, can you please advice what layouts you are having on Mac and in Windows? Please send me the exact names so I check keyboard sync with these layouts in the lab. Thanks!

3. Dana3

Dana3 Bit poster

My Mac keyboard pref is set to Canadian and always has been. When Windows boots it starts in Canadian, then when i click out to Mac and back into Windows, Windows switches to Canadian CMS. I've been using Parallels and the same VM for about 1.5 years now and this just started happening about 1 month ago. I haven't made any keyboard changes in that time.

As a workaround based on your suggestion, I switched the Mac to US keyboard, and now the language remains as english (non CMS) in Windows. So I guess I can use that as a workaround, though I still don't understand why the issue has started happening. The only thing to note is that my Windows 10 is not activated, so perhaps it's not able to retain settings?

4. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Glad to hear that it works now! Yes, most likely that's something had changed in Windows, e.g. due to new updates.