The virtual machine processor was reset by the operating system.

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AWI67, Feb 15, 2018.

1. AWI67

AWI67 Bit poster

Big Problem, please help:

Last night windows 10 was performing upgrades and now I get the error "The virtual machine processor was reset by the operating system."
    First I tried to go back to an older snapshot but after a few hours Windows 10 was performing the same upgrade and the same problem started again.
    After 2-3 minutes the machine always reboots with this error:
    The virtual machine processor was reset by the operating system.
    I tried both options mentioned in: http://kb.parallels.com/en/123831 No change.
    What can I do? It seems to be related with the very latest upgrade of Windows 10.
    That's totally frustrating.
    Please help.

Screenshot 2018-02-15 09.25.09.png

These are the two updates that seem to cause the trouble:

Screenshot 2018-02-16 01.26.20.png

I ws able to click my way through to the display of the update path before the machine crashed again just moments later.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @AWI67 , please perform sfc scan and check disk on your Windows virtual machine, restart it and check if that works.

3. AWI67

AWI67 Bit poster

Meanwhile I returned to the snapshot that ran fine and installed a tool little that prevents windows 10 updates (Win Update Stop). Since Windows 10 does not allow to stop updating in systems settings, I had to do it that way.
    So far (since +/- 6 hours) windows runs fine and made no attempts to update.
    So for me it's kind of a proof that Parallels desktop 13 either is not compatible with KB407488 or KB4087256.

4. AWI67

AWI67 Bit poster

Update:
    As long as I prevent the two Windows 10 updates KB4074588 or KB4087256 from running, everything is fine. When I do a snapshot (to return to the good state) and then let these two updates happen, the VM is destroyed. It's perfectly reproducible! Please advise. I do not see how a corrupted virtual disk (your advise to run check disk) could be related to this issue.
    Please advise.

5. AWI67

AWI67 Bit poster

Any news?

6. AWI67

AWI67 Bit poster

Any news?

7. AWI67

AWI67 Bit poster

The way Parallels support handles this issue is EXTREMELY disturbing.
    There are three reports now about the latest Windows 10 update not being compatible with Parallels at least in certain constellation - and nothing happens.
    I do not feel very comfortable, not being able to install security updates in Windows because of compatibility issues with the Parallels VM.
    Best regards
    Andreas (...frustrated...!)

diamondsoftware likes this.
  8. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Stephanie, Andreas, I am very sorry for the delay. Please keep in mind that Parallels Forum is designed for users community, not for handling urgent support cases. For that purposes we have traditional Support channels - https://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/support/#togglebox-37703-inner. Parallels Support Team tries to help as much as possible here, but that's not our primary task.

@diamondsoftware, I have created a support ticket for you to investigate this issue. That might be Little Snitch or Duet Display drivers on macOS. Our Support Team will contact you soon. Sorry again that I didn't reply you back in time!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  9. Dmitry@Parallels

@AWI67, I have moved your support ticket to Second Line Tech Support. Our team will contact you to troubleshoot the issue.

10. RalfH

RalfH Bit poster

I have the same issue - my VM is no longer running. If I restore to an earlier backup, Windows installs the update and crashes as decribed.

11. Dmitry@Parallels

Hi @RalfH, please post your report ID generated via Help > Send Technical Data...

12. AWI67

AWI67 Bit poster

I submitted a ticket quite a while ago.
    I was then contacted by a first level support engineer who asked me to allow him to destroy the VM again (by allowing the update) in order to just document the case for 2nd level. I explained to him that the VM is part of a productive environment and a MySQL-server is running on the machine that's accessed from 3 more computers. And that he is just asking me to send all my staff home early in order to freeze and backup the SQL-database so it could be restored to the exact state by making a VM-snapshot. I also explained to him, that I would not just agree to such a procedure only to verify I was not telling any nonsense and not to really go deeper into what's really happening.
    He then explained to me that Parallels support will not help me unless I agree to this procedure - destruction of a productive VM - just for verification.

I am deeply annoyed and frustrated.

Andreas

13. Dmitry@Parallels

Guys, thank you for the feedback. I have forwarded it to our Quality Assurance Team for review, will try to speed up investigation as far as possible.

14. RalfH

RalfH Bit poster

Screenshot 2018-03-02 at 06.45.22 PM.png Screenshot 2018-03-02 at 06.45.22 PM.png
    I've just sent the data, Dimitry. ID is 2444606212

A work-around is to boot Windows in Safe Mode with Network, which uninstalls the last update and Windows can be used until it wants to install the update again so this needs to be fixed a.s.a.p.

It looks like updates KB4074592 and KB4077528 are the ones causing problems and they get uninstalled after the safe boot:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  15. Dmitry@Parallels

Hi Stephane, thank you very much for your help! We got an analysis results from Engineering Team: "The virtual machine has a 100% reproducible triple fault, detected by VTX, this means, that guest kernel (maybe driver) crashes itself without any our interaction from our side. Additional dump analysis revealed, that problem is in HASPNT32 driver, which worked in Win7, but ceases to work correctly in Win10 - it should be updated by it's maintainer.
    Unfortunately, this means, that VM is almost broken. If this start to occur right after upgrade to Win10, pay attention to installed software and drivers, they can be incompatible with Win10, while running ok on Win7. We suggest to use previous snapshot or backup (before upgrade to Win7) to uninstall non-Microsoft drivers. Then upgrade to Windows 10, install updates and check VM stability. If there are no backups/snapshots, user can install another clean Win10 VM, mount disk from this broken VM to newer one, and modify everything he wants or just copy his software and data to newest one."

16. JohnB41

JohnB41 Bit poster

Many people have posted about this problem and I'm sure many more are experiencing the same. Me too.
    Hey Parallels! How about updating Parallels 13 to address this issue?

17. diamondsoftware

diamondsoftware Bit poster

JohnB41, The problem was found: it was a old HASP Driver who come incompatible with the last version of windows10. HASP is a driver for USB Key protection.
    After erase it it works, after installation of the last HASP driver, windows not crashed anymore but I lose the compatibility of an old USB KEY PROTECTION used with a very old (and need) software (1995) who use this old version of USB Key. Solution: installation of a WindowsXP virtual machine with this old HASP driver to run this old software , and no internet/network connection in this XP virtual machine, total isolation of outside. Problem solved (Ok take 30Go of place instead of a 2Mo drivers!!!)
    So in resume: search in your drivers if you don't have a very old files...
    Best Regards
    Stephane D.

18. Dmitry@Parallels

Hi @JohnB41, this is not a single error that can be fix in Parallels Desktop, this error message is shown when Windows decides to reset its processor (unexpected system reset). So there are multiple reasons why this situation may happen. One of them, as @diamondsoftware mentioned above - is an old HASP driver which is incompatible with the new Windows version. Another one - is Windows10 hybrid shutdown issue (aka 'Fast Startup'), the workaround is mentioned in https://kb.parallels.com/en/123831 - we update this article as far as we clarify new reasons for this error message, but there's hardly anything that we can fix in our product (in scope of virtualization).

19. MrWrighty

MrWrighty Member

Recently started to experience the same problem although it only happens during the Shutdown of Windows 10. I have not experienced crashing during use. Every shutdown from within Windows 10 is met with this error. However Shutting down from the Login Screen or Via the Parallels menu seems to work OK.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  20. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

Hello MrWrighty, Kindly follow the instructions from this link < https://bit.ly/2LMBlLC > and check if it helps.