Installing and running Windows 10 on an external HDD

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by SarahB3, Mar 18, 2018.

1. SarahB3

SarahB3 Bit poster

My MBP doesn't have a very large internal HDD, and Parallels (13.whatever-the-latest-version-is) and Windows 10 are eating up a fair chunk, so my intention is to buy an external drive and run it from that (if only I could afford an external SSD!). Is it possible to move the installation from the internal to the external, or would I have to reinstall everything...? A 'for dummies' guide would be appreciated...

Finally, what's the speed like, running it from an external drive? I don't play games that chuck the FPS around (I can't, MBPs aren't made for gaming!) but there are a few on Steam that I'd like to play (waiting for them to go on sale) which are Windows-only and would run on here.

Oh, and FINALLY, finally, what EHDD should I buy? I keep being told that LaCie makes the only Mac-compatible HDDs, but the cheapest I've found for a 4TB is £120, would really like summat with a bit more space if it could be found for a similar - or cheaper! - price (without sacrificing speed too much). Any suggestions...?

2. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

Hello SarahB3, Please follow the instructions from this link and check if it helps.