Horribly Slow Upload/Download Speeds

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JeremiahB, Oct 31, 2012.

1. JeremiahB

JeremiahB Bit poster

I have boot camp partition running Win7 that I access through Parallels 8 running the latest release. I'm having horribly through put on my network with parallels.

Running speed test on Win7 Machine:
    Down: 16.18 Mbps
    Up: 0.52 Mbps

Running the same test on the Host Mac while everything is still up and running:
    Down: 13.06 Mbps
    Up 13.66 Mbps

These machines are running on our work network, through the Thunderbolt to giga-bit adapter. My Win7 network settings are set to Default Adapter (need separate IP for testing IIS)

I have tried switching over to shared to see if that would change my performance, but the performance is the same.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Make it hard to support my clients when I am uploading 42 meg worth of code changes at 6 - 12 k a second.

2. JeremiahB

JeremiahB Bit poster

Anybody? Bump this to the top.

3. EZRider

EZRider Bit poster

I have a somewhat similar problem with both Parallels 7 and 8 with Windows 7 OS. Connecting to the file server while at work can be brutally slow for no reason. For example trying to copy a 1MB PDF file to a network folder takes almost 2 minutes. When it's running properly it only a few seconds and from my Mac it's also only a few seconds. When it does this it also seems to effect the internet speeds. Sometimes restarting my Windows 7 VM fixes it but only temporarily as it will eventually slow down again. I don't know if it's a Parallels process causing this issue but it's really making my life difficult as I have to use both Mac and Windows in my environment. Booting directly into BOOTCAMP works fine.

4. JeremiahB

JeremiahB Bit poster

Has anyone come across anything that would either be causing this or fix it? It is making work very difficult to do as I'm having to constanlty copy stuff from my boot camp vm to my mac and then copy the stuff from my mac to what ever server I'm putting code on.

5. JeremiahB

JeremiahB Bit poster

Bump!!! The machine I'm having issues with is my boot camp partition win7 box. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

6. ChairMan

ChairMan Bit poster

I have exactly the same problem. Upload speeds internet speeds while in Parallels is horrible compared to concurrently running Mac. I am running Windows 7. This happens both at work and at home so I believe it is not a network problem. Parallel's support ran me through all kinds of possible fixes which did not work. It is supposed to be fixed eventually, per a response from Parallels Support dated 2/17/15. I cannot recommend Parallels to anyone until this issue is fixed.

I stand corrected as of 6/20/2015- I found this post in one of your other forums which had a link to a "fix". If you perform the change below, the problem should go away. I can now recommend Parallels to my friends. Note that my Intel PRO/1000 MT network adapter had the same property under the advance tab.

"To disable, go to Start->Control Panel->Device Manager->Network adapters->Atheros AR8152/8158 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20), right-click then select Properties. On the Advance tab, find property Large Send Offload (IPv4) and change its value to Disabled then click OK."

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    RenatoP1 likes this.
  7. TommiJ

TommiJ Bit poster

I just installed Parallels 12 and Windows 10 on top of MacBook Pro. Network download was horribly slow, upload was pretty good. ChairMan's "fix" helped and now I get full network speed in Windows.

8. Krish1

Krish1 Bit poster

Thanks for the solution!

9. RenatoP1

RenatoP1 Bit poster

Tks ChairMain, it works for me too!

10. Jose222

Jose222 Junior Member

It doesn't work for me, unfortunately. This is with the latest Windows 10 and the latest released version of Parallels. I have rebooted the image, and the computer (rMacBook Pro 13"), and nothing. When I test my download speed with testmy.net, in the image I get 1Mbps, and on the macOS host I get 100Mbps.
    Aside from the Intel PRO/1000 MT Network Connection there are a number of WAN Miniports. Should I try something with those?
    Anyone has any other ideas of how to 'unblock' the network connection from the Parallels image

11. Jose222

Jose222 Junior Member

It didn't work for me, but I figured I had Configure > Options > Resource Usage to the lowest value (from reading that in another thread). After changing that it really improved. I reverted the value from disabled to enabled and it kept working fine.

12. Hi Jose222. Glad to know that you were able to sort out the issue. Please post again for any additional queries.

13. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

I would think that if you're using Bootcamp then you wouldn't need Parallels.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018