How do I restore my VM using existing hds file?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Lakmal, Jul 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Lakmal

Lakmal Bit poster

Hi,

I'm using MacOS High Sierra OS. On this, I installed parallels and created win 10 vm. Recently I deleted vm but not the hds file
    Today I created a new Win 10 VM and now I need to get data (or replace existing disk) with my old hds file.
    Please, let me know how can I do that?

Thanks

2. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Let us know the size of the HDS file.

3. Lakmal

Lakmal Bit poster

102.5 GB

4. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

1. Make another copy of the HDS file and change the extension to HDD.
    2. Start a new VM creation as mentioned here but when you are on the screen to select the ISO and continue to select "Locate Manually" then select "Continue without a source" then proceed to select Operating System.
    3. Choose the profile for your virtual machine.
    4. Give a name for the VM and create. You will get a no boot screen.
    5. Use Actions (on Mac menu bar) > Stop. Now you can see the empty VM on Parallels Desktop Control Center.
    6. Open the new PVM bundle and delete the .HDD then move the renamed .HDD
    7. Select the VM configuration > Hardware > Harddisk > select drop down and choose image then select .HDD.
    8. Launch the VM. HDD file will start converting and Windows will try to boot.

If this doesn't help then there is no other option and you have to create a new virtual machine.

5. ShawnL3

ShawnL3 Bit poster

IF you can't find the hdd files, you must right-click on the pvm and chose to "Show Package Contents". This would've saved me about 30 minutes.