Errors in shared folder and usb driver after upgrade to PD14

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by ZhiyangL, Aug 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ZhiyangL

ZhiyangL Bit poster

I run the Ubuntu 16.04 VM on my macOS. Yesterday I upgraded my PD from 13 to 14. Then in Ubuntu VM I always get the errors when I want to build something in the shared folder(linked from macOS). Also, when I launch the USB cameras, it also gives me the error. It seems the PD14 has bugs in the parallel tools

VaclavS likes this.
  2. UgoM

UgoM Bit poster

I think I have a similar problem. Gedit cannot open some text file: cannot open text files in Dropbox folder from linux Mint: Unexpected error: Error reading from the file Invalid Argument; and I cannot link file with g++. If I copy the folders in Linux they work.
    Contacting Parallels support seams to me mission impossible: very disappointed

3. ZhiyangL

ZhiyangL Bit poster

You can download the v13 by https://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/download/, then shut down the VM and reinstall the parallel desktop, then reinstall the parallel tools. Then it works again.

4. UgoM

UgoM Bit poster

With help of a good friend I went back to version 13.2 and the problem disappeared.

I was also able to contact support which is informed

5. YanK

YanK Bit poster

I cannot link file with g++ in shared folder after upgrade to PD14 too.
    The error is:
    >$ g++ -shared -o libtest.so test.cpp.o
    test.cpp.o: error adding symbols: Invalid argument
    collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  6. ZhiyangL

ZhiyangL Bit poster

try the solutions in my previous response

YanK likes this.
  7. YanK

YanK Bit poster

Your solution is great. :) Expect to fix these bugs in PD14.

8. VaclavS

VaclavS Junior Member

9. sam452

sam452 Member

Sorry to see I'm not the only one affected by this. Only recourse is to downgrade to 13.

10. bpeter

bpeter Junior Member

Using 14.0.1 solved the shared folder issue for me.

11. sam452

sam452 Member

Excellent. However, 14.01 did not resolve my issue. My issue is that I use the Ubuntu guest as an Apache server, to mimic customer's production server. The psf links back to my Mac's development work. After the update to 14.01 Apache reports that it is unable to find these files on my Mac's psf folder. Within that Ubuntu guest, I happily can see that the permissions for /media/psf/Shared/Home/ are unchanged and can be viewed by everyone. Perhaps this distinguishes from bpeter's issue.

12. sam452

sam452 Member

It's been a few weeks about this. I see bpeter mentions version 14.01. Just now, checking for Update it indicates the latest is 14.0.0-45124. Is there a more-recent upgrade that I should seek out?

13. bpeter

bpeter Junior Member

Hi sam452,
    I'm running version 14.0.1 (45154). It's been out for a while already.
    I recommend you to try re-downloading the latest package from your account, that should be the latest.
    Hope it helps.

14. popmonkey

popmonkey Bit poster

i was running 14.0.1 and was experiencing that disconnect issue tho

15. sam452

sam452 Member

I can confirm that 14.01 does resolve this particular issue. Odd that the Parallels Desktop app Upgrade command pulled down the version prior to it which was a false assumption on my part.