This VMware Fusion virtual machine cannot be converted to the Parallels format (Solved)

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Coldzer0, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Coldzer0

Coldzer0 Bit poster

Hello all

i was using a VMware Fusion 10 (windows 10 VM) then i try to convert it to Parallels

but it didn't work

it says
    "This VMware Fusion virtual machine cannot be converted to the Parallels format because it is running"
    i shutdown the VM probably and i done it several time

but i can't convert even using the terminal command to force converting

i've read that VMware Fusion make some edit to it's VM files so Parallels can't convert it so the user have to stick with them

please i need to convert it ASAP

thanks in advanced

2. Shathish@Parallels

Shathish@Parallels Pro

Hello @Coldzer0 Parallels Support Here! There will be certain steps you need to follow before converting into Parallels Virtual Machine. First, you need to uninstall the VMWare Tools completely from the virtual machine and have to shut down the virtual machine. I would request you to refer this Blog and Knowledgebase article for more information. Thanks, Shathish

Coldzer0 likes this.
  3. Coldzer0

Coldzer0 Bit poster

thanks so much this Blog helps a lot
    u guys 've a great tool , really fast and stable .

thanks again .

4. Shathish@Parallels

Shathish@Parallels Pro

Hello @Coldzer0 Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are always here to help you. Thanks, Shathish

Coldzer0 likes this.
  5. MarcR7

MarcR7 Bit poster

Hello all,
    unfortunately I am facing the problem still. VMWare Fusion 8.5. and Win 10 running.
    Tried to uninstall VMware Tools several times and shut down virtual machine completely - also removed the hard disk skip ... but still the same error.
    Looking forward to you assistance.
    Beste regards
    Marc

6. Shathish@Parallels

Shathish@Parallels Pro

7. MarcR7

MarcR7 Bit poster

Hello Shathish, I followed the instructions of the block post several times ... and I used VMware Fusion to "Shutdown" the virtual machine and made sure all VMware Tools have been deinstalled up-front.

Still the same error !
    Best regards
    Marc

8. Meenakshi@Parallels

Meenakshi@Parallels Pro

Hello MarcR7, please reproduce the scenario wherein the resolution limit is shown, generate a Problem Report ID http://kb.parallels.com/9058 while the said scenario is being displayed (very important) and reply with the same. We'll then investigate.Thanks!

9. MarcR7

MarcR7 Bit poster

Hello Meenakshi, Problem Report ID is stored and send - 231601307

10. DanielC11

DanielC11 Bit poster

I've found that if I use VMWare Fusion to clone the machine and then use Parallels to convert the clone works! Hope that helps!

ChrisW47 and KenW12 like this.
  11. TimothyS6

TimothyS6 Bit poster

I am having the same problem, trying to convert a VMware fusion Windows 10 virtual machine to Parallels 14. I've uninstalled VMware tools, shut down the VM several times, but still get a message saying that it can't be converted because the VMware VM is still running.

sbboch likes this.
  12. sbboch

sbboch Bit poster

I also have this problem

13. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @TimothyS6, can you please try this terminal command:
    /Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_convert OS_X\_10_10.vmwarevm/Virtual\ Disk.vmdk --force --no-src-check --no-reconfig --allow-no-os

14. JohnK31

JohnK31 Bit poster

I tried the above command and I got this response
    "The source virtual machine or disk is neither a third-party virtual machine nor a third-party virtual disk."
    What should I try now?

15. TedB4

TedB4 Bit poster

I am having the same issue, ran the command "/Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_convert OS_X\_10_10.vmwarevm/Virtual\ Disk.vmdk --force --no-src-check --no-reconfig --allow-no-os" Converts vmdk to a hdd. What the freak am I supposed to do with the .HDD file parallels will no open it?

16. Does the converting process stop or hang?

17. KenW12

KenW12 Bit poster

This worked for me too. Only issue was that you need Fusion 10 or later to Clone. Good call though! :)

18. ChrisW47

ChrisW47 Bit poster

That solved the problem for me, too. Thanks!

19. MichaelP89

MichaelP89 Bit poster

Converting from VirtualBox (v6.42) .vmdk using Par_18.2

/Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_convert Name_of_Hardisk_to_convert.vmdk --force --no-src-check --no-reconfig --allow-no-os

Converting from within Par did not