Video Converter no longer converts ASF files

Discussion in 'Parallels Toolbox for Mac' started by GeorgeS16, Jul 22, 2018.

1. GeorgeS16

GeorgeS16 Bit poster

After a recent tools upgrade, video converter no longer correctly converts ASF to MP4. The conversion appears to work (no errors) but when viewing in Quicktime or Premiere, there is no video. Tools version is 2.6.0 (1613). I downloaded the standalone trial version (ver 1.6.0 (920) and it works fine.

MBP running Sierra,

Suggestions?
    Thanks!

2. sergk

sergk Parallels Developers

Hello,

could you please provide us with file that cannot be converted, we need to investigate it.
    Also generate problem report (open Toolbox window --> press on cogwheel --> Help --> Send Technical Data) and post it's ID here.

3. GeorgeS16

GeorgeS16 Bit poster

MP4 file is fuzzed out so I can not upload using the "Upload a File" button. Is there another way to upload? I am not getting an error, the tool seems to be encoding the file incorrectly since there is no video. The $5 version of the converter works fine.

4. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi @GeorgeS16, please upload the file here: http://fe.parallels.com/36f312237a746b6a46048094316ea9ef/
    Here are the instructions: https://kb.parallels.com/en/9101

Please also do not forger to send us a technical data report via open Toolbox window --> press on cogwheel --> Help --> Send Technical Data and post it's ID here.
    Thank you!

5. GeorgeS16

GeorgeS16 Bit poster

Getting an error "There is a problem connecting tot he service "fe.parallels.com" ". Also, can you show me what is in the Technical Data report :) before sending it over.

6. GeorgeS16

GeorgeS16 Bit poster

Suddenly was able to connect to your server. I uploaded 3 files. the original ASF file, an MP4 file converted with the $5 converter that worked. And an MP4 file that was converted with the toolbox version that does not convert the video. Note that none of the files contain audio.

7. GeorgeS16

GeorgeS16 Bit poster

What did you discover about the files?

8. GeorgeS16

GeorgeS16 Bit poster

The files were uploaded a couple of weeks ago. What is the fix? Why can I no longer convert ASF files? Why does the $5 work yet the version included in parallels does not?

9. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi @GeorgeS16, the issue is under investigation yet. In technical data report we collect computer and system specifications, macOS system.log and Parallels Toolbox licensing information and logs. You can review contents of the report manually:
    1. Generate technical report but do not send.
    2. Open Finder > Go > Go to Folder...
    3. Open /var/ folder
    4. Enter the following to Finder search bar: ToolboxProblemReport
    5. Select Search: "var"
    6. The folder will appear in few seconds
    Screenshot 2018-09-19 at 18.56.52.png

P.S. we will add 'Show in Finder' button to technical report window in future Parallels Toolbox updates.