Transfer Windows 10 To New Mac = New Windows 10 License?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by shinrat, Feb 26, 2018.

1. shinrat

shinrat Bit poster

Im running Windows 10 as free upgrade from Windows 7 on an iMac with Parallels 12.
    Now I plan to buy a new iMac and a new Parallels 13 lcense for it.
    I want to move the VM to the new iMac and not use it on the old one anymore.
    Do I also have to buy a new Windows 10 license because the hardware has changed or can I thransfer and run it as before?

2. Hi shinrat. Please refer this article to transfer an existing virtual machine to a new Mac. While starting the virtual machine on the new Mac, you will get a popup to select 'Moved' or 'Copied'. In that choose Moved. It will preserve the MAC address of your virtual machine so that you will not get Windows activation issues.

3. mabam

mabam Junior Member

I'm trying to move a .pvm file containing Snow Leopard Server from Parallels Desktop 8 on my old Mac to a Parallels Desktop 14 test version on a new Mac. I have done what the article says and clicked "moved". Yet a particular software installed within the VM asks me to activate again (which is a problem as that software isn't sold anymore and limited to a maximum amount of activations). This doesn't happen on Parallels 8 on the old Mac, there it still works. So somehow it can still see that it runs on a different machine. What causes this?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  4. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @mabam , the software installed inside your virtual machine detects the hardware change and presumes it to be installed on a different machine. So please have a word with the software support regarding the same.

5. mabam

mabam Junior Member

Hello @Arun,

Thank you for your response.

The developer doesn't extend the activation possibilities, I'm afraid. Besides that, Parallels Desktop is supposed to be able to keep the virtual environment for a moved VM the same as it has been before, so there shouldn't be any hardware change that the system and software contained in that VM could recognise. Therefore - and because you are not the developer of the software that complains about activation, but of Parallels Desktop - I haven't asked you to worry about that software, but I have asked you why Parallels Desktop doesn't do what it should do.

In the meantime I have done some testing myself: On my new system, I have removed Parallels 14 and then first installed version 10, have it open the VM and update Parallels Tools - after that the software still worked flawlessly. Secondly I installed version 11 and did the same - also there that software ran without issues. Then I installed version 12 and did the same again. And this is where it went wrong - my software wouldn't start but complain about activation. By comparing the VM's config.pvs files after running it in version 11 and version 12, respectively, I couldn't find any major differences (that is, all UUID's, MAC addresses and so on are the same).

So I kindly ask you to dig deeper into this issue in order to get it resolved. Why does using Parallels 12 and up result in a virtual hardware change? What is that hardware change and how can it be prevented/fixed?

Many thanks for your efforts in this matter.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  6. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Can we have the exact name of the software in question?

7. mabam

mabam Junior Member

It's an extensive dictionary Dutch <--> English/German/French: "Van Dale Grote woordenboeken 5".

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  8. Hemnath@Parallels

Thanks for the info. Now, we need 2 Technical Report ID's from your end, as explained below:
    Please reproduce this scenario, generate a Technical Data Report (refer to for assistance) while the software is running without issues (very important) and reply with the report ID number.
    Please reproduce this scenario, generate a Technical Data Report (refer to for assistance) while the software activation issue is displayed on the screen (very important) and reply with the report ID number.

9. mabam

mabam Junior Member

Hello Hemnath,

Thank you very much for taking this on!

The report ID number of Parallels Desktop 11 running the software without issues is 278561635.
    The report ID number of Parallels Desktop 12 with the activation issue on the screen is 278562564.

10. Hemnath@Parallels

Most welcome. We will investigate this internally and get back to you with an update. Please stand by.

11. mabam

mabam Junior Member

Hello Hemnath,

May I inquire about the status of your investigation on this?

12. Hemnath@Parallels

Sorry for the delay. A support ticket will be created for you shortly. A Tier-2 engineer will then get in touch with you by email and assist you further.

13. mabam

mabam Junior Member

Thank you again!

I received a mail saying it has been escalated to the development team for deeper investigation. So I don't know how long it will take, but I'm glad it's being worked on and am very curious on the outcome.

14. Hemnath@Parallels

I see that a bug report has been sent to the development team. You can later reply to the mail you received as and when you want to check for an update in this regard.

15. ClaudioB3

ClaudioB3 Bit poster

I'm interested to know if there is a resolution or a procedure to avoid the issue. I'm on a similar situation (moving the VM to a different laptop soon)

16. DavidR39

DavidR39 Bit poster

Microsoft has different types of product keys such as; MSDN, OEM, FPP retail license, Where MSDN release for students, OEM release for original equipment manufacture, comes into the hardware with pre-installed OS and fpp is retail version, comes with full package, Its costly but can be transfer from one PC to another without any issue but I know a site from which you can buy cheap, genuine and legit retail license from ODosta Store
    It can be easily activate and then you may be able to get lifetime updates from Microsoft server.