Parallels running windows xp

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by RichardM15, Sep 18, 2018.

1. RichardM15

RichardM15 Junior Member

Hi
    I have a mac running yosemite, I have downloaded paralleles version 12 and habve installed windows xp on it.. its great does what I want so.. bought the license only to find it works only on version 14 not 12.
    I queried this and cleverbridge customer support simply refunded my money - I didnt want a refund I wanted to run parallels 12 as I havd just set up and wanted an activation code for that
    Now I have logged in here but and struggling to get an answer.. help please
    How can I buy parallels 12 please

2. Hi RichardM15. Please be informed that only the latest version of Parallels Desktop for Mac can be purchased from Parallels Online store. If you wish to purchase any previous versions, you can check with any of the local stores that sell software in your location.

3. RichardM15

RichardM15 Junior Member

thank you
    As I understand it the latest release doesnt run xp? correct me if I am wrong please?
    Anyway I did find on amazon a version 12 and bought the retail pack that way.

4. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Parallels Desktop 14 supports Windows XP. You can refer to the article for the list of supported guest OS.

5. RichardM15

RichardM15 Junior Member

thank you that would have made life easier had I read that list first :)

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @RichardM15, you're welcome! Please let us know if you have any questions in installing Windows XP virtual machine

7. MichaelK36

MichaelK36 Bit poster

Hi Richard,
    I'm thinking about parallels with Yosemite as well - how is it working for you and did you purchase 1 time license or yearly subscription?
    Thanks, Michael

8. RichardM15

RichardM15 Junior Member

Hi Michael
    I have several macs.. the one i use predominantly I just use boot camp and have a windows partition.
    This yosemite and parallels configuration I set up for a friend of mine and I have to say its good, easier to use than my bootcamp.. in that i can swipe from windows to yosemite and windows act like a program.. desktop items are shared and its a more cohesive use of windows and mac.. you can edit photos on the mac and then attach them to send from email in windows, or accounts can be done in windows (the accounts package is why windows is needed) and all the pdf invoices can be put on the windows desktop so they can be sent from mail in yosemite. It makes sense

In this case as my friend is unlikely to update the config of the computer.. more likely it will stay un-updated now till its changed in x amount of years time so we opted for one time license (accounts packages are a problem when updates come into play)

Hope all goes well for you :)

9. MichaelK36

MichaelK36 Bit poster

Hi Richard,
    Thank you for this information. I have one last question - did you use Parallels 12 or 14 for setting up your friend's computer?
    Michael

10. RichardM15

RichardM15 Junior Member

I used 12 :)

11. MichaelK36

MichaelK36 Bit poster

Thanks again - much appreciated. :)