Parallels desktop quit unexpectedly (Parallels 12, MacOS 10.12.5)

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by DimitriS2, Oct 23, 2018.

1. DimitriS2

DimitriS2 Bit poster

Hello,
    I've been using Parallels 12, MacOS 10.12.5 since early 2017, and just today it stopped working and only gives the message "Parallels desktop quit unexpectedly" every time I try to start it up. Nothing chnged at all in my setup and I did not install anything new. I'm backed up with Time Machine.
    It's very urgent for me to get going again, any help will be appreciated, including how I might get telephone support from parallels, I can pay for that or for upgrades etc but I would really appreciate all advice on how to proceed asap please.
    Thanks,
    Dimitri

2. AbbeyH

AbbeyH Bit poster

I had the exact same scenario happen to me this morning as well. Any help would be appreciated as I use Parallels for my job.

3. Hello DimitriS2. Kindly quit Parallels Desktop 12. Go to Finder--> Application--> Parallels Desktop then right click and move to trash. Go to Disk utility--> Macintosh HD and run ' First Aid . Restart the Mac computer completely and then reinstall Parallels Desktop 12 < www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd12 > and check with it.

4. DimitriS2

DimitriS2 Bit poster

Thank you! That worked!

I very much appreciate your prompt response. May I ask 2 follow-up questions please:

1.) I was not asked to re-input my licence key. Can I assume that Parallels will still continue to work indefinitely, as my existing licence allows? (I ask because your link downloaded ParallelsDesktop-12.2.1-41615, but my previous version was older, ParallelsDesktop-12.1.3-41532)

2.) Would you please comment on the possible reasons for this crash (without technical detail)? I find it very concerning that such a crash can happen without any apparent cause - and apparently did not happen to me alone. Parallels is critical to my work so I keep it very simple and isolated. In addition I only use one safe stable mature application inside Windows that interacts with nothing else, and Windows has no access to the internet (only my MacOS does). My setup cannot be simpler and safer. How could this happen?

A major concern for me has been the fact that some time ago you redesigned Parallels in a way that we cannot block your update notices/advertisements. This makes me suspect that the only possible source for such an incident might be inadvertently linked to tweaks that you send out and that we cannot block or detect.

A critical tool that cannot be isolated completely (including from its developer) is a vulnerable tool.

Would you please comment on whether you would dismiss such fears as paranoia or are they a valid concern that you might want to think about carefully?

Thanks & regards
    Dimitri

5. Nice to know that it works! To make sure that the product is activated, please start Parallels Desktop application, click on the Parallels Desktop icon in the Mac menu bar on the top (it looks like 2 red lines) and select 'Account & License...' and check whether your product key is displayed and activated. The issue occurs since you do not have the latest build of Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac and there might be some misconfiguration between Mac and Parallels Desktop application.

6. Shashik1

Shashik1 Bit poster

I am having same issue. While opening the parallel desktop, i am getting following message "Parallels desktop quit unexpectedly" I am using Parallels 12, MacOS. 10.12.6). Please suggest what should i do ?

7. Shashik1

Shashik1 Bit poster

I will try the suggestion given by Parallel staff ... re-installing new build. Can you confirm that this will not cause any issue .... my Parallel will work indefinitely with my existing windows license (as current license does). Please address my concern.

8. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Uninstalling and reinstalling Parallels Desktop will not affect your virtual machine. You can use the same virtual machine after reinstalling Parallels Desktop.

9. Ann-MarieB

Ann-MarieB Bit poster

Hi, on my parallels desktop I have sage/collsoft - would I lose this if delete and re-instate as advise above. I have screen shot the message I am getting - thanks in advance

Attached Files:

10. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @Ann-MarieB, please check out the instructions outlined in this article to fix this issue.

11. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

No, your virtual machine will not get deleted if you reinstall Parallels Desktop.

12. [QUOTE = "DimitriS2, post: 845959, miembro: 6658212"] Hola,
    He estado utilizando Parallels 12, MacOS 10.12.5 desde principios de 2017, y hoy mismo dejó de funcionar y solo aparece el mensaje "El escritorio de Parallels se cerró inesperadamente" cada vez que intento iniciarlo. Nada cambió en mi configuración y no instalé nada nuevo. Estoy respaldado con Time Machine.
    Es muy urgente para mí volver a comenzar, cualquier ayuda será apreciada, incluso cómo puedo obtener asistencia telefónica de paralelos, puedo pagar por eso o por actualizaciones, pero realmente agradecería todos los consejos sobre cómo proceder lo antes posible, por favor.
    Gracias,
    Dimitri [/ CITA]

Tengo exactamente el mismo problema, tengo Outlook instalado y necesito poder al menos recibir mis correos electrónicos antiguos ... por favor ayude a alguien

13. Tengo exactamente el mismo problema, tengo Outlook instalado y necesito poder para menos recibir mis correos electrónicos antiguos ... por favor ayude a alguien

14. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

Hello! Kindly quit Parallels Desktop 12. Go to Finder--> Application--> Parallels Desktop then right click and move to trash. Go to Disk utility--> Macintosh HD and run ' First Aid. Restart the Mac computer completely and then reinstall Parallels Desktop 12 < www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd12 > and check with it.

15. AustinD1

AustinD1 Bit poster

Hi, I tried this, and now Parallels loads (hallelujah!). however now it is asking for an activation key? I don't have a key anymore - I signed up for the 14 day "trial", but how do I get my key back? Thanks!

16. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

Hello AustinD1, Please check our private conversation.

17. BenK5

BenK5 Bit poster

My parallels account has been crashing and I need to use it ASAP. I followed the instructions you guys provided earlier by moving it to the trash and re-downloading it. Now that its back on my Mac it is asking for my activation key. Unfortunately, I do not know may activation key since I bought the software a couple years ago.

18. Hello, could you please provide us with your email address that you used for the Parallels Desktop purchase or registration.
    Please reply us back via the private message.