Parallels and Windows Mixed Reality headset

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by MarkusA1, Jul 18, 2018.

1. MarkusA1

MarkusA1 Junior Member

Hy,
    I wanted to ask if it is possible to use a Windows Mixed Reality Headset within Parallels Win10 VM? Installation of the Mixed Reality Portal was no problem and the VM also recognizes the HDMI + USB, but all it does after I connect it to the VM is to replicate the screen on the headset. No recognition from Win10 itself. Is there a possibility to work with MR devices? Hololens development, emulation and so on is no problem, so I thought the MR headset support should also be possible. :)

Best regards :)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  2. Adam11

Adam11 Bit poster

Following as I have the same question :)

3. MarkusA1

MarkusA1 Junior Member

Sry for the *bump*, but this is a very critical issue for me. Oo

4. GregoryT3

GregoryT3 Bit poster

Success! I was starting to suspect I wasted my money buying Parallels Pro, as I've been working on this all day, and although everything pointed to Virtualization and Hyper V enabled and running, I couldn't get the emulator working.
    What finally solved it for me (after extensive trouble shooting to verify that Hyper V and virtualization were enabled, and SLAT and DEP were supported)
    was to run CMD as Administrator, then you can run the command `bcdedit` (without backticks) and look for "hypervisorlaunchtype" if it is not present, or set to off, run `bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype auto` (again without backticks) and it should let you know if the operation completed successfully (you can run just bcdedit again to check) and then you will need to restart your vm.
    After this, I was able to successfully run the hololens emulator.

5. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Thank you for sharing the workaround which helped you in resolving the issue.

6. MarkusA1

MarkusA1 Junior Member

@GregoryT3 Congrats, although the emulator wasn't the issue I was referring to :)
    @Ajith@Parallels Running the Hololens emulator was never a problem. Emulator works on my machine for about 2 years now. My question was regarding the Windows Mixed Reality Headsets (Windows MR). So this issue is far from being resolved!!!

7. MarkusA1

MarkusA1 Junior Member

see comment above.

8. GregoryT3

GregoryT3 Bit poster

@MarkusA1 oops! I'm not sure why I thought this thread was about the emulator (perhaps there was another thread that I intended to reply to.)
    That said, it appears I spoke too soon anyways as I'm still unsuccessful in running the emulator, so my previous comment was probably useless all the way around.

9. MarkusA1

MarkusA1 Junior Member

@GregoryT3 I had a look at the settings I have for my Windows 10 Pro VM. It seems that everything is working for me with the following settings. It may be possible, that the boot process takes very long for the first start from within Visual Studio. Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 09.44.32.png

10. GregoryT3

GregoryT3 Bit poster

I appreciate you sending those. Unfortunately I am using the same settings, and have configured for Design under general. My current suspicion is that the virtualized video card and drivers are not seen as compatible (the mixed reality portal complains about them). Any ways, thanks again for sharing your settings, and sorry to hijack your thread. I'll probably start my own thread for my issue. Best of luck getting the actual MR headsets working!

11. MarkusA1

MarkusA1 Junior Member

You're welcome and no problem. Your emulator issue is really strange. Good luck and I hope the emulator will start working soon. I'll come back to you, when I find something that might help. :)