VS Code UI broken in Mojave VM

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by MichaelD32, Sep 26, 2018.

1. MichaelD32

MichaelD32 Junior Member

Running the trial Parallels 14 for Mac in an effort to build a dev environment. Stuck at Visual Studio code. Mojave installed fine. VS Code 1.27.2 on it has a broken UI and is not usable.
    What can I do to fix this?

2. BillC1

BillC1 Junior Member

Do we know if VS Code is broken on Mojave when Parallels isn't involved?

3. MichaelD32

MichaelD32 Junior Member

VS Code 1.27.2 runs perfectly on Mojave in the host environment. The intent was to recreate my dev environment in a VM. I could not have predicted I would get stuck at the code editor.

Attached Files:

4. BillC1

BillC1 Junior Member

Hm. Unfortunate indeed.

5. MichaelD32

MichaelD32 Junior Member

I like the snapshot feature of Parallels but without my editor of choice working it's s no go. I'm very surprised. Checking out Fusion next....snapshots feature there is too costly. But at least I can build a dev VM. :-(

6. BillC1

BillC1 Junior Member

It might get fixed in upcoming Parallels patches, but I get you on the editor. Have you reported as a bug to Parallels?

7. MichaelD32

MichaelD32 Junior Member

Yes I have! Should have put that here immediately. Report ID number: 277587041

BillC1 likes this.
  8. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello MichaelD32. I believe you reached out on the social channel with the same query. Just got word that the Report ID you provided earlier was sent across to the engineering team. We will keep you posted. Appreciate your time.

MichaelD32 likes this.
  9. Paul12

Paul12 Bit poster

Any luck getting this to work nicely I am having the same issue?

You can start VS code or any electron app with graphics acceleration disabled from terminal. This makes the app usable as long as you don't need webgl support.

How was your experience with Fusion? I really like Parallels for running windows on mac but I might need to ditch it for running OSX I am having a bunch of other issues running OSX as a guest OS such as tabs in all OSX applications such as finder and safari being messed up and graphically glitchy, blur in terminal not working, preview hanging up and firefox not working at retina resolution.

Makes it really hard to have an OSX dev environment in Parallels when basically every program I need to use is having issues :(

10. MichaelD32

MichaelD32 Junior Member

Hi Paul, nope I'm afraid not. Also the trail period ended so I wasn't even able to proceed. Parallels support did not pick that up. What turned me down actually is that the support team left me waiting for a week on a known issue known for over a year. I can not build a solution that is meant to keep me going at all times without a support team operating at this level.
    Anyways, apparently VMWare found away around the issue and I have macOS clients running happily under Fusion now. What bothered me though is the sheer size of the macOS deployments. So where possible I turned to a Linux Desktop distribution which can be as small as a few GBs compared to the 50GB macOS VMs.
    Hope this helps. Regards from The Netherlands,
    Michael

11. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Sorry for the delay. As per our conversation on the FB channel, we have forwarded your feedback to the management. Should we receive any updates in this regard, we will let you know.

12. MichaelD32

MichaelD32 Junior Member

Parallels support did not pick up that the trial period was over and that they should naturally offer to extend it while I was dedicating time testing the product.
    I'm sorry I was unclear.

13. JairoS

JairoS Bit poster

Hi Parallels Support,
    Do we have any update on this? I'm facing UI app issues as well.
    Regards,
    Jairo Santana

14. Hi guys, could you please generate the problem report with the same issue on the latest Parallels Desktop 14.1.2 update?

15. DavidF13

DavidF13 Bit poster

I've had the exact same problem. I did a little more research and this is what I've found.
    • The problem exists in other versions of macOS as the guest. I am running Mojave as the host, and I've not seen this in any previous versions of the host os.
    • The problem also extends to Chrome. I set up a brand new guest OS (both Mojave and High Sierra) and ran tests. Chrome was also having graphical issues just like VS Code, so the root of the problem isn't just VS Code. It's Chrome since VS Code uses Electron which uses Chromium.
    I've got a support incident opened and a remote session scheduled, hopefully something can be gleaned from that.

PetrusN likes this.
  16. RyanR4

RyanR4 Bit poster

17. prenez

prenez Member

VS Code doesn't work in Catalina guest on Catalina host in Parallels either. Most unfortunate.

18. prenez

prenez Member

furthermore, there's no option in Catalina to turn off Automatic Graphics Switching.

19. prenez

prenez Member

ok, I just read the other posts. @parallels - you have REALLY got to fix this problem. Everyone is using Electron to write apps. If you can't work with Electron, you're going to be obsolete and VMWare will eat your lunch.

20. Vassilis

Vassilis Bit poster

I concur. This is extremely annoying. I am forced to run MacOS VM and Windows VM in order to solve it or run Electron apps from command line in MacOS.