Extremely Slow

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Louise2, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Louise2

Louise2 Bit poster

Hello fellow Parallels user, I hope someone can help me please.
    I'm running Windows 10 Pro on Parallels 14, and up until today - everything has been OK, albeit a tad slow. However, when I started my 27" iMac, 16Gb, 500gb drive with plenty if free space, the Windows 10 startup has been running for 4 hours......! I've tried restarting from cold and warm boot - same result. When I start the resource monitor - W10 is at a solid 100%. Activity monitor on OSX shows W10 running at 150-200%
    As my email is on the W10 side, I can't start it. I'll leave this page open for response

Thank you - Louise.

2. Hello Louise2. Please start the virtual machine, select Actions (from the Mac menu bar) -> Take Snapshot. Again select Actions -> Reset and check if it works fine.

3. Louise2

Louise2 Bit poster

Thank you - that worked. Now the computer is installing updated Tool, VERY slowly.

4. Nice to know that. And you are welcome! Once the tools are installed successfully, restart the virtual machine and check if it works fine.

5. Louise2

Louise2 Bit poster

Restarted, and still not that fast. We're considering a significant hardware upgrade to a new machine - can you recommend the "sweet spot" for an iMac configuration please?

6. Please note that you can allocate 50% of Mac's hardware resources (CPU, RAM, Video memory) to the Windows virtual machine for maximum performance. If you are going to use a program within Windows virtual machine which requires 8GB of RAM, then you need to have at least 16GB of RAM memory on the Mac. Hence, you can check the system requirements for the program that you are going to use on Mac and the Windows virtual machine and choose the Mac configuration accordingly.

7. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @Louise2, please shutdown your VM -> open its configuration -> switch to Options tab -> Optimization -> Set performance to Faster virtual machine and enable Tune Windows for speed. You can also turn on the Better performance option under 'Power', but this may consume more battery. If the issue persists, please check out this article to improve the performance and battery life.

8. Louise2

Louise2 Bit poster

Hi Paul Chris, I don't see the optimisation option under the options tab. Any other suggestions gratefully received!

9. KebhaK@Parallels

KebhaK@Parallels Hunter

Hi @Louise2 , If you are using Parallels Desktop 14 Standard edition you cannot see optimization option in your virtual machine configuration. Do you have any anti virus installed on your Mac or Windows virtual machine.

10. Louise2

Louise2 Bit poster

Can I upgrade to a "pro?" version of 14.0 to improve performance? Only AV is the std MS one within Windows 10.

11. KebhaK@Parallels

KebhaK@Parallels Hunter

Try disabling Windows defender which might be the cause of the issue.Please follow steps in this article for upgrading to Pro edition.

12. Louise2

Louise2 Bit poster

Why would I disable the AV? Is that for installation, or a permanent recommendation?

13. KebhaK@Parallels

KebhaK@Parallels Hunter

Hi @Louise2, It is not a permanent recommendation Windows defender might slow your Windows virtual machine performance please disable it , check the issue and let us know.

14. JeffK3

JeffK3 Bit poster

I'm having a similar issue - windows side boots quickly then goes to a black screen for ~5mins before finishing loading. It is the AV on the windows side or the mac side? I've seen responses that indicate both are holding things up???

15. StuartD2

StuartD2 Member

You're not alone Louise....
    There is definitely no "Optimization" option under the "Options" tab........

16. Hi, and did you try the Windows selective startup? If not, please check this article and try. It will help us to understand the reason of the issue. Also please let us know the results.

17. Hi, which version of Parallels Desktop you are using now? Is it the latest one? Please let us know the symptoms of the slow performance. Make a screenshots of Activity monitor on the Mac side and the same with Task Manages on the Windows side. And reply us back with both screenshots. Please make a screenshot right after the issue reproduced. Looking forward to your reply.

18. StuartD2

StuartD2 Member

sure.. a few images attached..

Currently losing the mouse when zooming in the CAD file, which is not a big job file...
    Zooming is clunky...

Attached Files:

19. Thanks a lot for the additional info. And what about slow VM performance? Did it happened on the Windows startup? Or only when you work with any application?
    And for the mouse issue, please try instructions from this article and let us know does it work for you or not.

20. StuartD2

StuartD2 Member

For me Slow VM performance relates directly to the way in which a program operates within the VM, vis a vis. slowly..
    Which is what I have with CAD generally under Win 10, which I hadn't experienced in 10 years of running it under parallels in Win XP and now, mysteriously, it seems to be grinding a little more... There will be a reason, of course..

As such I only tend to run CAD in Win 10 (Strangley it would install under XP, on this new machine, but not run), when starting the Win 10 VM you have time enough to make a cup of tea, Vaccuum your office and wrap that belated gift for your Aunt's birthday....

Which instructions were you referring to exactly...? Perhaps a link to said instruction...?

And why does the resource monitor show the Win 10 RAM as maxed out, regardless of what it is or isn't doing and how much RAM is ascribed to it...?