Parallels 10 question

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by GeraldH1, Dec 29, 2018.

1. GeraldH1

GeraldH1 Bit poster

I have a Macbook Pro currently running OS 10.8(Mountain Lion), Parallels 8 with Windows 7.
    I want to update to my OS to 10.12(Sierra). What version of Parallels can I use that will support both OS 10.12(Sierra) and still use Windows 7.
    Thanks

2. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi GeraldH1. As per this article, all Parallels versions from 11 work with macOS Sierra and all of those versions support Windows 7.

3. GeraldH1

GeraldH1 Bit poster

Thanks Henmath, I appreciate the quick reply.
    Another related question.......When I update to Sierra and install Parallels 11, will I have to reinstall Win7?

4. Hemnath@Parallels

Parallels Desktop and Windows are two separate components - upgrading Parallels Desktop will not affect Windows or Windows data/applications in any way. Kindly refer to this article for more details.

5. GeraldH1

GeraldH1 Bit poster

Just to be sure, I am assuming that upgrading to Sierra will not affect my Win 7 either.
    Thanks again Hemnath!

6. Hemnath@Parallels

It shouldn't. But as a safety measure, let the whole upgrade path be in this manner:
    1.) Shut Windows down (as opposed to just suspending it).
    2.) Locate the virtual machine file on the Mac (it is a file with the extension '.pvm').
    3.) Make a copy of the .pvm file and move the copy to an external hard drive with a Mac-compatible file system [e.g., exFAT, Mac OS Extended (Journaled) etc.,].
    4.) Upgrade your Mac to Sierra and install the required Parallels Desktop version.
    5.) Run Windows now.
    Anytime!

7. GeraldH1

GeraldH1 Bit poster

Everything went well, thanks again Hemnath

8. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

We are glad to hear that the issue is resolved. Feel free to reach out to us anytime for support.