Parallels changing perm's/owner of /dev/null !?

Discussion in 'Linux Guest OS Discussion' started by nuro305, Sep 25, 2007.

1. nuro305

nuro305 Junior Member

Hi,

After debugging printing problems in SuSE Linux running Win XP in Parallels, I discovered Parallels changes the perm's & owner for /dev/null from root:root to root:parallels !?

Why is Parallels changing this and how do I stop it. It causes a print permissions error in Suse even when Parallels isn't running and I have to fix it manually after each run of the VM.

I now also have a USB printer error of:

"Paused: Unable to open device "hal:///org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_4a9_1093_23CAA4_if0_printer_noserial": Permission denied"

I'm sure this it related to the same problem. any idea how to figure out what "hal:///org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_4a9_1093_23CAA4_if0_printer_noserial" is mounted as so I can try and manually fix this ?

Thanks!

2. MaximS

MaximS Forum Maven

Please, post full information about your Primary OS, Guest OS versions and Parallels product, including build number.

3. nuro305

nuro305 Junior Member

Thanks for the reply.

I'm running Parallels 2.3 build 2112 on SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 SP1.

Win XP Pro is the guest OS.

Keep in mind, these changes to my groups & perm's are pertinent after I have run and closed Parallels. I'm not even trying to print from Parallels VM.

I REALLY have to figure out why I can't print from any USB printers anymore... (I can print from networked printers after I fix the /dev/null ownership)

Additionally, I realize I don't see SLED 10 as supported on your site for this product but it's very very close to SuSE 10.1. I have also sent about 4 email's to Parallels asking about future support for this product and have never received a response of any kind.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  4. nuro305

nuro305 Junior Member

Helloooooo ? Anybody from Parallels out there ?

5. nuro305

nuro305 Junior Member

Hey?

Is this what I get for using Parallels instead of VMWare ? Apparently so.

MaxS I sent you 2 private messages asking for assistance. Hello ?

6. MaximS

MaximS Forum Maven

nuro305, I apologise for long pause. I have not seen your messages.

For now we are not supporting SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 SP1. We realize support for the newest Linuxes within some monthes after release.

As for our Support Team, have you ticket ID or could you provide your sender email (in my private)? We need this for understanding the reasons of answer absence. Thank you!

7. nuro305

nuro305 Junior Member

SLED 10 has been out for about 2 years now...

How about answering my question about no reply from any of your sales people about when SLED 10 will be supported, if at all. Considering it's Novells premier Linux version, I'd think I could get an answer.

Apparently I won't get an answer here. Changing the Perm's & ownership on /dev/null is a big problem for SUSE users and we should be able to get an answer.

I won't be buying or installing Parallels at our company because your service is unacceptable, and a little English lesson would help as well...

8. MaximS

MaximS Forum Maven

SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 SP1 was released at June 2007.

As I understand you have not asked our Support Team at all. I'm sure if you ask they will help you.

9. nuro305

nuro305 Junior Member

June 2007 was just SP1, SLED 10 has been out for a long long time. I did send email to 3 different addresses off the Parallels site and as mentioned NEVER received a reply. Exactly what is the magic email address I should sent a support request to for some help on this ?

10. MaximS

MaximS Forum Maven

It's not a secret ;). Official email of Support Team is support@parallels.com. I've talked with them, they have not received tickets from you.

Anyway if it is problem with email let's understand the issue here.

Firstly, try to check this on the latest Parallels Workstation 2.2 build 2204.

If the problem will exist, please, describe what exactly you do, what is the VM configuration when the /dev/null's permissions are changed. For now we cannot reproduce this problem in our environment, so we need details.

11. nuro305

nuro305 Junior Member

OK, I just sent email. I'll post the results here.

Thanks,

12. nuro305

nuro305 Junior Member

Cool, I sent email to the address you specified and got back this response:

"Thank you for your interest in Parallels products and services.
    Please note that this email is unable to receive incoming messages.
    To make a general inquiry or to ask a technical question about our products, please submit a request via the Parallels website at
    www.parallels.com/en/support/request
    If you have a question about an existing purchase, activation key, or product registration and are unable to submit a request using our website, please email us at order-support@parallels.com.
    For sales questions, please contact us at sales@parallels.com.

To append information to an existing, successfully created ticket, please reply to the correspondence on the ticket that we have sent you taking care not to change the subject line.
    We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Best regards,
    Parallels Customer Support Team"

Are you kidding me ? What in the world is going on over there !?

13. MaximS

MaximS Forum Maven

You should just fill the request form. This is standard procedure and there is no reason to worry so much ;).

And I remind, you can also describe the problem here, just in this thread if you arent comfortable with our Support Service.

14. nuro305

nuro305 Junior Member

Ok, I filled out the form..... Perhaps it's just me but it seems like a bad joke that you would tell me to open a ticket via email and when I do I get a response back saying that email address doesn't accept email ?

I 'll post the results of my latest Parallels Support adventure here, but I"m fairly sure I'll just get the answer that SLED 10 isn't officially supported and you can't help....

15. nuro305

nuro305 Junior Member

Ok, It's been 2 weeks now that I got an email saying my issue was sent up to Level 2 Support..... with no additional contact.

Hello, anyone out there ? Nice Customer Service.

16. Egurt

Egurt Parallels Team

Your request ticket was sent to Tier 2 support on October, 16th. Tier 2 Support Engineer replied you and informed on your case being investigated by QA Team on October, 19th - please check if you received this email. Your case is still under investigation by QA currently, we'll update you when the results will be available.