Slow to Start, Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by frogywill, Oct 10, 2007.

1. frogywill

frogywill Junior Member

Ever since installing 5160, it takes forever from the time I start the VM to the "bios" screen. In the past, starting the VM would send me to the virtual bios screen right away. It now takes almost a full minute, sometimes more.

Any ideas?

2. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello, frogywill,

Look in your VM folder, where pvs files are, if there any *.sav or *.mem files. You should delete them (when the VM is off). Restart the VM after that. Will it help?

3. frogywill

frogywill Junior Member

Actually I found out that the mounting of the Windows Disk is what's taking for ever.
    I disabled it under "Shared Folder" (Mount virtual disks to mac desktop) and it starts as it did before now.

I also turned off the drop shadow and it is a lot faster running now. BUT It's pretty sad that with a Mac Pro and 4 gig of memory I can't run it WITH the drop shadow enabled.

4. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Congratulations on solving the problem!
    However we can't approve that the actions you've described could really help you.

Windows disk mounting can not take so much time. Mounting is proceeded while Parallels tools are booting, and this happens after the Windows has started and user has logged in.

Drop shadows appear just in coherence mode, so this can't influence the mounting process.

You've probably undertaken some other actions to make the virtual bios screen appear more quickly? We'd really like to analyze your case profoundly, thank you for your replies.

Best regards,
    Xenos

5. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Does Parallels tools have a leak for you? (Take a look in the task manager)

6. frogywill

frogywill Junior Member

I guess you're right. It was only "fast" once. It's back to "slow" now....

7. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Have you deleted *.sav or *.mem files in your VM folder?

Best regards,
    Xenos

8. frogywill

frogywill Junior Member

I have... I had one .mem file which was of 768meg, the size of the virtual memory assigned to the machine.

9. frogywill

frogywill Junior Member

Just timed it: it took 1:30 for the BIOS to show up. The .mem file appeared in the folder 30 seconds after I started the VM.

This was after a reboot of my Mac.

It takes about as long for the "it's now safe to turn off your computer" screen to go away.

10. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

How much RAM do you have on your computer and how much RAM do you have allocated to Parallels? Do you use Pre-allocation?

11. frogywill

frogywill Junior Member

Well now disk utility shows my hard drives with bootcamp on it has errors....
    Looks like one of the Parallels crash messed up my HD.

Any ideas on how to repair it ?

12. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team