Parallels doesn't support iCloud Drive (online-only files don't show in VM)?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by golden.sunshine, Mar 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. golden.sunshine

golden.sunshine Bit poster

I have over 2Tb of files stored on iCloud Drive. My MacBook Pro, which is running a Windows 10 VM via Parallels 14 on macOS Mojave (v10.14.3), has a 1Tb drive. As a result, I have enabled Apple's in-built storage optimization for iCloud Drive (i.e. download full version of frequently accessed files, keep rest on iCloud Drive server).

In macOS, I can see all the files (i.e. when browsing in Finder: downloaded full versions look like any other file, online-stored files show up with a small cloud icon next them indicating that they are stored online and will need to be downloaded if I want to access them).

In Parallels, I can see the fully downloaded files but none of the online-stored files. Given it is over 50% of my files as online-storage, this is a problem. How can I get the same view that I can see in macOS while in my Windows 10 VM in Parallels 14?

2. LizeB

LizeB Bit poster

nice post

golden.sunshine likes this.
  3. @golden.sunshine did you try the following steps:

1. Go to Actions > Configure > Options Tab > Sharing
    2. Make sure that the option 'Share iCloud, Dropbox and Google Drive' are selected.
    3. Click on 'Custom Folders...' > click '+" sign and add your folders from iCloud, Dropbox and Google Drive manually, one by one.

[​IMG]
    4. Check the issue in Virtual Machine.

golden.sunshine likes this.
  4. golden.sunshine

Thanks Maria. Yes, the 'Share iCloud, Dropbox and Google Drive' was selected. I tried the 'Custom Folders' approach, but that did not make a difference. What other options do we have?

5. Could you please update your Parallels Desktop version to the latest build 14.1.3, reinstall Parallels tools and check the issue once again.

6. golden.sunshine

@Maria@Parallels Thanks Maria. I updated my Parallels Desktop to the latest build, reinstalled Parallels tools, and I still have the issue. What else can we do?

7. golden.sunshine

Thanks Maria! In response to your message (other Mac/Widows folders have been shred without issues?), yes no issues. Everything shows up except for the online-only files. Those files show up in MacOS (i.e. as available, clicking on them results in them being download) but not while in the VM (i.e. Windows 10 running on Parallels). So while in the VM, I don't even know the files exist. I then have to go back to MacOS, spend time trying to navigate to the same directory branch, to work out what the actual file listing is. What can we do?

8. Ok then, please reproduce the issue and right after that generate the problem report using this KB article.
    Please reply us back with the report ID.